PDA

View Full Version : [BASH] Finding the device node associated to an usb stick

jordan83
April 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi guys,

I need some help in writing some bash code that determines which device node is associated to a usb stick.

I need this because I own a small home server and I want to backup few files and folders on an usb stick that is permanently plugged in.

The problem is that every 2 weeks the server reboots and the device node associated to the usb stick may change to a different device node.
For example, last week the usb stick was available at /dev/sdc, now it is at /dev/sdb.

Do you have any idea/suggestion on how I could solve this problem, provided that I know the vendor id and the device id of the usb stick?

Thanks! :)

Backharlow
April 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM
instead of using the /dev/device_that_changes to check the identification, use the Unique Identifier. It is actually unique. Think it is generated from the device model/serial or some such but it is persistent and unique.
try:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
or,

sudo blkid

jordan83
April 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thank you!!

This is a wonderful solution, I was preparing myself to dig into the wonders of udev and /sys but it seems that this is not necessary! :D

Great!

Backharlow
April 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
No problem. This is fairly common knowledge. I think though, most people start using UUID id when they start putting permanent additions into the fstab file, to mount various devices in custom ways at boot.

mdurham
April 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
instead of using the /dev/device_that_changes to check the identification, use the Unique Identifier. It is actually unique. Think it is generated from the device model/serial or some such but it is persistent and unique.
try:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
or,

sudo blkid

Hi Backharlow, I don't think it's unique, I have two Toshiba 1GB USB sticks and each shows the same UUID. I guess it would be possible though to identify by LABLE wouldn't it?
Cheers, Mike