PDA

View Full Version : wxWidgets is a nightmare

yahn
April 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM
My experience with Ubuntu has been relatively great for the past year or so. In my opinion, development was actually easier on Ubuntu than on Windows. However, wxWidgets is out of control.

I've been fooling around with wxWidgets for 3 straight days and I'm getting nowhere. So, hopefully someone can help me out or I'm going to have to use a different library or something.

It all starts when I include <wx/wx.h>, which is technically <wx-2.8/wx/wx.h>. I got an error about setup.h. After hours of scratching my head, I finally (maybe) found out what to do with setup.h. Then I find out that in defs.h I get the error that there is no target and I should compile with wx-config. After a few more hours of scratching my head, I figure out what exactly that means. So, I run wx-config --cppflags, get the flags and set them as linker information only to find that I'm still getting the same error and there are about 10,000 more pending.

Every other library I have ever used "just worked." Maybe I'm spoiled; maybe I'm stupid; maybe something is wrong with my system, but I cannot figure this out without some help.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you

dwhitney67
April 1st, 2009, 02:11 AM
Since you know where the header files are located at, just indicate to gcc (or g++) this information using the -I (uppercase i) option.

gcc -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 file.c ...

Your source code should include wxWidget header file(s) such as:

#include <wx/wx.h>

I have never used wxWidgets; I presume there is a shared- or static-library that you must use to link your application. If so, use the -l (lowercase el) option to specify the appropriate library. For example, maybe -lwx.

yahn
April 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Uh, I'm a little confused. I'm using code::blocks and I don't think that will work. The error telling me to use wx-config will still persist.

Jacks0n
April 1st, 2009, 04:33 AM
Try using the Ubuntu guide on the wxWidgets site. That's the one I used a while back and it works fine. http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Installing_and_configuring_under_Ubuntu

You need to make a symbolic link from /usr/include/wx to /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx, as it says on the guide. Or you could do... "#include <wx-2.8/wx/wx.h>"

Apparently with Code::Blocks you need to use `wx-config --cxxflags` in your build options, and `wx-config --libs` with your linker options. I'm guessing you didn't set the linker options.

http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Code::Blocks

Hope that helps!

Jackson

yahn
April 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks, I got it to work.

I wish that that would have shown up when I searched Google.

WitchCraft
April 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
`wx-config --libs`

Warning: This is a very bad idea.

You should use
`wx-config --version=2.8 --static=no --cxxflags --libs`

If you don't, you will run into problems as soon as you have two different version of wxWidgets installed (e.g wxPython, which still uses 2.6).

Simian Man
April 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM
If you think it's ad on Linux, Windows users actually have to compile wxWidgets manually to program with it!

WitchCraft
April 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
If you think it's ad on Linux, Windows users actually have to compile wxWidgets manually to program with it!

You also need to compile it on Linux if you want to have it link statically.