View Full Version : [all variants] Different workspaces on multiple monitors?

April 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have been looking around on google to see if it is possible to get different workspaces on different monitors in a multi-monitor setup.

All of my searching has turned up results only for using something like xinerama (or whatever it's called) to create one large desktop that spans both monitors, but that's easy.

What I would like is to have a session with say 4 workspaces, have workspace 1 on monitor 1 and workspace 2 on monitor 2. Is this possible? Using multiple X severs/sessions isn't really a solution because they will be a separate set of workspaces.

Any ideas?

April 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
I also want to find a non-tiling window manager that has the capability to treat each monitor as a separate workspace. I've been using Xmonad, but I'm looking to switching to a non-tiling window manager like due to tiling problems with a couple odd applications I frequently use.

I think Xmonad might be of interest to you if you are willing to try out a manually-configured tiling window manager. In Xmonad, instead of extending each workspace to stretch onto two monitors each monitor has one workspace visible on it at a time. Be warned though, transitioning straight to Xmonad is not easy if you have only ever used desktop environments like KDE, Gnome, or Xfce