PDA

View Full Version : question about this new virus threat

roaddummy
April 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM
I am wondering, since I am new to Linux, what the Ubuntu users need to do, if anything, about this Conficker virus threat that is all over the news??? I have heard that most of the viruses are mainly a windows or microsoft threat. They even said that Mac users should not be affected at this time. I just don't want to have to worry about rebooting and losing all my info and files that are stored. Thank you for any and all information that you can give a relative newbie to Linux.

Melanie

change_mode
April 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
It's based on a windows vulnerability, so no need to worry.

roaddummy
April 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
I thought it might be. Now, I am worried about my laptop. I am running windows on it, but I haven't used it in about a week. Do you think I would be safe with it?? I haven't had any problems with it so far, but I just don't want to take a chance. Boy, that would suck if I can't use it for a while. I am supposed to work the next three nights and I cannot go without a computer!!!!!! Also, I need to buy some scrapbook stuff sometime after midnight!!! I would hate to have a problem with that!! Thank you for the input. Do I need to get an antivirus security type of software for my computer, though?? If so, which one is the best out there in the free world??? Thank you!!

linuxuser21
April 1st, 2009, 12:21 AM
90% of the desktops are Windows (unfortunately). There viruses for Linux; however, there are very few of them & none that are serious.

change_mode
April 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
I thought it might be. Now, I am worried about my laptop. I am running windows on it, but I haven't used it in about a week. Do you think I would be safe with it?? I haven't had any problems with it so far, but I just don't want to take a chance. Boy, that would suck if I can't use it for a while. I am supposed to work the next three nights and I cannot go without a computer!!!!!! Also, I need to buy some scrapbook stuff sometime after midnight!!! I would hate to have a problem with that!! Thank you for the input. Do I need to get an antivirus security type of software for my computer, though?? If so, which one is the best out there in the free world??? Thank you!!

Do you connect over a router? If there's a NAT firewall, you are basically safe from worms. Install the latest windows updates and you should be fine.

roaddummy
April 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM
No, I connect through WiFi at my work. It is an unsecured network, but the network is from an old hospital that closed down last year. Their equipment is still in the building and we are able to access it, but it is very limited and can't be accessed everywhere in the building. I appreciate you guys helping me with this. Be back later to check responses. Have to take my son to Boy Scouts.

Melanie

logos34
April 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM
yeah, routers are great firewalls--everyone should be behind one (even single-workstation-only connections).

Basically, as a linux user, you're not at risk from this (or any other) threat. Don't worry and be happy. I stopped caring about the virus du jour a long time ago. Unless you dual-boot or are connected to a windows mail server there's no need to care about it at all.

There was a scary CBS 60 Minutes report Sunday that never really made clear that this affects WIndows users, not mac or linux.

HermanAB
April 1st, 2009, 12:48 AM
Virus threat? Relax and enjoy it!

Then make yourself a CD with BartPE, ClamAV, Hijackthis and Spybot S&D and buy a large receipt book so you can fix all those hundreds of PCs that are going to croak around you.

bodhi.zazen
April 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Moved to recurring discussions.

Please see :

Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

the Conficker virus does not affect Linux.

You do need security on Linux, but antivirus and firewalls (in general) are not as important as they are in Windows. In fact most people here probably do not use either.

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Limited account == win.

lisati
April 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
I prefer the term "malware" in this kind of discussion: the current threat is a Worm.

As has been said already, the worm is unlikely to hurt your Linux system - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812 makes for a good read.
In addition to making sure you've installed all updates, it's a good idea to keep any anti-malware software you might be using up to date as well, and do a full scan.

Oh, by the way, even though it's not stictly necessary for Linux systems, it probably won't hurt to do a scan if you're likely to connect to Windows systems. Yahoo, as well as other email providers, have a "thou shalt not pass on malware" clause in their terms of service.

bodhi.zazen
April 1st, 2009, 01:15 AM
I prefer the term "malware" in this kind of discussion: the current threat is a Worm.

worm you are correct, me bad.

Despite my mistake I prefer to call a critter what is is, in this case, as you pointed out, a worm is IMO most appropriate.

malware is , IMHO, best reserved as a general term when referring to multiple types of critters.

Sealbhach
April 1st, 2009, 01:24 AM
If your Windows system is updated you're fine - the update to fix this vulnerability was released last October.

roaddummy
April 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks guys!! This helps a lot!!!:p

Ubu2010
April 1st, 2009, 04:17 AM
yeah, routers are great firewalls--everyone should be behind one (even single-workstation-only connections).

Basically, as a linux user, you're not at risk from this (or any other) threat. Don't worry and be happy. I stopped caring about the virus du jour a long time ago. Unless you dual-boot or are connected to a windows mail server there's no need to care about it at all.

There was a scary CBS 60 Minutes report Sunday that never really made clear that this affects WIndows users, not mac or linux.

Does this also mean if I am accessing Hotmail.com, which is a M$ site ?

sansa dude
April 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
always good to know i am safe from viruses now if can prepare my brothers windows computer in time that will be a diffrent story...

ranch hand
April 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
One thing that was not mentioned on TV or most articles I have read is thaat this I exploiting a security hole in MS SERVERS. Networked computers are in the most danger.

Conficker also will self install on thumb drives and then can infect non MS server connected computers.

Bios Element
April 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Does this also mean if I am accessing Hotmail.com, which is a M$ site ?

No, That doesn't really count.

bashveank
April 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM

The Windows update to fix the Conficker hole was fixed ages ago. Just make sure that you're up to date and you'll be fine. The only reason this is an issue at all is because users are too lazy to keep their security up to date.

Mulenmar
April 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
You do need security on Linux, but antivirus and firewalls (in general) are not as important as they are in Windows. In fact most people here probably do not use either.

Not a good thing, though. I've heard that some Windows viruses can execute in Wine. Good reason to make sure that in the Wine options, drive Z: is set to a dedicated folder in your home directory, not the default root directory.

(Not a programmer, just what I heard. ~)

trig
April 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Do you connect over a router? If there's a NAT firewall, you are basically safe from worms. Install the latest windows updates and you should be fine.

my wife got 7 trojan at the Toledo Hospital on her laptop when i spent 2 weeks there. if it is a unsecured network keep your windows anti-virus on.

bodhi.zazen
April 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Not a good thing, though. I've heard that some Windows viruses can execute in Wine. Good reason to make sure that in the Wine options, drive Z: is set to a dedicated folder in your home directory, not the default root directory.

(Not a programmer, just what I heard. ~)

I added a wine section to my security thread.

Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

Ubu2010
April 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
No, That doesn't really count.

Thanks for the reply. I know "it" isn't over yet, but Conficker hasn't seemed to have done much today (Apr. 1).

My next machine will be running Linux, my old one died finally. So anyway, I was liking Ubuntu so much that I am a convert. Also, I am looking forward to my next college course which is a Linux class. I can't wait to learn more.

Great discussions, here, by the way. :)