PDA

View Full Version : Yay! Solaris By Mail

djoe
March 31st, 2009, 11:10 PM
*Wasn't sure where to put this, because other OS talk is closed.

Oh goodie I just got Solaris in the mail at no charge. I didn't know it is based in San Francisco. No wonder it mailed fast.

I'm in Canada for those that didn't know.

Questions:

K, so Ubuntu is 0,88 value in pounds and Solaris is a value of $3 american, so whats 0,88 in dollars?
*just curious which costs more

My second question is... are there anymore free distro's going by mail?
*I know there's Ubuntu Versions, Solaris. I think Fedora DisContinued shipments to Canada. hmm.

Any ideas?

\\:D/

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
I got an openSolaris disc free too. Shipped fairly fast to Scotland.

My issue? Couldn't get it to even boot with only 256MB of RAM. Not even the console mode.

I don't like using Live cd's of full OSes because you lose so much speed, so I was gonna install it on my spare system. But not if it won't boot.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 11:21 PM
I got an openSolaris disc free too. Shipped fairly fast to Scotland.

My issue? Couldn't get it to even boot with only 256MB of RAM. Not even the console mode.

I don't like using Live cd's of full OSes because you lose so much speed, so I was gonna install it on my spare system. But not if it won't boot.

It seems to me, Solaris is second only to Vista when it comes to hardware requirements, 256MB of RAM isn't going to get it done. I think you need a GiB minimum for it to run smoothly, it's a nice OS though I couldn't get multimedia support to work, that was like a year ago though.

DownTown22
March 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
K, so Ubuntu is 0,88 value in pounds and Solaris is a value of $3 american, so whats 0,88 in dollars?

I think that's about a $1.60 (CAD)

djoe
March 31st, 2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the Live part of the CD is only good if you want to just try it out and see if its any good.

hmm, $1.60cad. I thought the u.s. would cost less. Well we learn something new everyday. Thanks for that.

joey-elijah
March 31st, 2009, 11:46 PM
I requested a live CD of OpenSolaris and it never arrived :(

I don't find Solaris to be bloated though - always ran fine in Virtualbox and i only have 4GB RAM and a dual core 3.0ghz so my machine is hardly a beast! I gave it 1GB RAM and 128MB VRAM and it ran really well!

djoe
March 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Uhh, why would they forget about, one of my favorite English speaking countries.):P

I'll give them a piece of my mind.

Not a beast of a computer at all, when you consider that the Dell XPS has 8GB of Ram, I think they have higher Ram yet, can't remember.

C!oud
March 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
I don't find Solaris to be bloated though - always ran fine in Virtualbox and i only have 4GB RAM and a dual core 3.0ghz so my machine is hardly a beast! I gave it 1GB RAM and 128MB VRAM and it ran really well!
:roll:

OpenSolaris is pretty resource intensive but they've come a far ways and I still think it's a fascinating non linux OS. In my experience it was mainly ZFS that was memory intensive compared to other file systems but it's still pretty sweet :)

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
:roll:

+1

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM
i only have 4GB RAM and a dual core 3.0ghz so my machine is hardly a beast!
*chokes*

I have gotten a free CD for both OpenSolaris releases thus far. It is an interesting project.

djoe
April 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Does it work well on 512 Ram?

Mehall
April 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM
that's what it supposedly runs on Minimum. heard it works okay, but no confirmation.

Sporkman
April 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
I've installed OpenSolaris in VMware recently - the live CD will take forever starting up in less than 512 mb. 512mb seems ok (for starting up at least).

BGFG
April 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
Couldn't get it off the ground on 512. I do remember that when i enabled effects on the live cd I got the desktop cube, which impressed me. I'll seriously consider it when they begin using Gnome3.0
ZFS and native VB is too big a lure.

EV500B
April 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM
I also received mine but it's for 64-bit pcs only.
My computer is a really old one, so could not test it.
Yay! i received a free useless cd for my old system.
Tested it on a friend's Turion X4 laptop something but couldn't even start, it boots but what the ...
Throwing that apart, it has a relatively good service; medium packed correctly and delivered in 3 weeks.

djoe
April 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Holy, are SunMicro fast at delivering, I requested a 2nd and it only took a day.

I thought freebies were low priority. Although I do live in the u.s. range, so.

I'm going to consider donating, thats just fire speed delivery, not expected.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
BRAVO! BRAVO!

cmay
April 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
*Wasn't sure where to put this, because other OS talk is closed.

Oh goodie I just got Solaris in the mail at no charge. I didn't know it is based in San Francisco. No wonder it mailed fast.

Questions:

My second question is... are there anymore free distro's going by mail?
*I know there's Ubuntu Versions, Solaris. I think Fedora DisContinued shipments to Canada. hmm.

Any ideas?

\\:D/

i called up sun Denmark to ask what it would cost to get the solaris 10 dvd set. i think it costs 34$ but they sendt me one for free. it took fourteen days to arrive but i just got it by mail and i was very happy wiht that. i dont know of any other distributions that comes with mail for free however.

djoe
April 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I think Fedora still does Deliver after all:

Ubuntu: does Unlimited Free CD's as long as you give a good enough reason, and depending on how many you request it may take longer.

Solaris: One Free CD Per Shipment and Quick Delivery.

Fedora: One CD Per Release Limit. Crossing my fingers they'll ship to Canada.

DownSide... Some may not allow P.O. box. There are towns where P.O. Box is mandatory.

djoe
April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Sorry for blabbing, $34, but shipped free.

They must be a good company or something. I wish Microsoft would be that nice. I guess some company's just know how to treat people.

I wish Xubuntu would be available on ShipIt. All I get is a FileSystem, http://shipit.xubuntu.com/

coolbrook
April 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM

I thought they shipped from Montreal. I never received the Solaris 9 or 10 that I ordered way back when.

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Does it work well on 512 Ram?
No.

thisllub
April 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
There seem to be a lot of things opened by default but it is very happy in 2GB.
A lighter WM might help.

Mason Whitaker
April 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
They sent me a CD in two days after the request :D

Only problem is, OpenSolaris has absolutely no wireless drivers availible for my laptop, nor does my ethernet work for it :|

djoe
April 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Thats where Windows has gotten better. I'm not sure if it was the '2000 or XP release, but they started putting pre-installed drivers into them and some of them are generic drivers. But, sometimes it also depends on the PC you got.

SunMicro must really hate the French, if they haven't dropped off a copy there. ):P

cardinals_fan
April 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
There seem to be a lot of things opened by default but it is very happy in 2GB.
A lighter WM might help.
MilaX is a lighter derivative with JWM.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
They sent me a CD in two days after the request :D

Only problem is, OpenSolaris has absolutely no wireless drivers availible for my laptop, nor does my ethernet work for it :|

I had to compile a driver for my Broadcom Ethernet card. If you have a dual boot just go into the other os download the driver, then either save it to a flash drive, or access it from the solaris install, and compile.