PDA

View Full Version : If you had the choice

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 10:26 PM
You get a laptop for free but there is a catch, you can't install another OS (or virtualize one) on it.

What would you pick?

- Macbook pro running OSX

- More powerful laptop running Vista (high end quad core, 8gb ram, high end graphics)

- less powerful laptop running Ubuntu (mid end dual core, 2gb ram, integrated graphics 256mb)

I would go with the Ubuntu one, but would you?

No OS bashing, just tell what you would pick. Don't make up other options, those are the only three.

edit: It's a gift from your grandmother, so it would be rude to sell it. :p

You got it because your other pc died, this is the only one you got in the house.

lisati
March 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
You get a laptop for free but there is a catch, you can't install another OS (or virtualize one) on it.

What would you pick?

- More powerful laptop running Vista (high end quad core, 8gb ram, high end graphics)

- less powerful laptop running Ubuntu (mid end dual core, 2gb ram, integrated graphics 256mb)

No OS bashing, just tell what you would pick. Don't make up other options, those are the only three.

It depends: is adding software allowed?

For everyday use, probably the Ubuntu machine; for video editing probably the top-end Vista machine.

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 10:31 PM
My laptop is pretty much the spec of the ubuntu laptop mentioned (except it's only a 1.9GHz dual-core, so a little under "mid-end" and my graphics is nVidia laptop GPU, but about 128MB ram. it all equates about the same.)

It came with Vista, but I switched to Kubuntu then Crunchbang. I'd choose the same again.

suitedaces
March 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'd take the dearest one!

issih
March 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Probably the mac...I quite like os-x (hell I use a macbook), and its unixy enough to sit well with everything else I use.

Those unibody macs are very pretty too..imo anyway.

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 10:37 PM
It depends: is adding software allowed?

Sure. The only restriction is that you are stuck with the OS.

C!oud
March 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Ubuntu one

chucky chuckaluck
March 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM
i'd go with the ubuntu one. i have a system76 laptop and that would actually be an upgrade for me.

swoll1980
Since I'm not allowed to make a 4th option for a laptop with the Ubuntu specs except with XP. I would go with the Ubuntu one. I like Ubuntu better, but unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't.

Greg
The most expensive one, plus ebay.

rzrgenesys187
March 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM
This probably doesn't count but I'd take the Vista laptop since I have one that is running Linux. I'd only want the Vista one since it is high end enough to run games which is the only reason I would ever have for using Windows

mamamia88
March 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM
i'd take the macbook pro sell it, and buy 2 $600 laptops install ubuntu on one use the other for anything i need on windows and still have $800 left

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM
i'd take the macbook pro sell it, and buy 2 $600 laptops install ubuntu on one use the other for anything i need on windows and still have $800 left

Your only going to get $1,000 for it, and that's if your lucky.

mamamia88
March 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM
you are saying that if i sold a brand new macbook pro msrp 2000 i'd only get 1000 back?

the8thstar
March 31st, 2009, 11:04 PM
Mac

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 11:10 PM
you are saying that if i sold a brand new macbook pro msrp 2000 i'd only get 1000 back?

Yeah you'd be selling it as used, doesn't matter if you ever used it, or not. There's a different market for you selling a mac book as apposed to the apple store. People will assume a risk when they purchase from you, and the price will go way down. You would be lucky to get $1000 probably more like $500-600

Simian Man
March 31st, 2009, 11:14 PM
If I ever got a computer with Linux pre-installed, I'd re-install right away anyway so I could choose my distribution, partitioning scheme, and installed software very carefully. Since I can't do that, I guess the Mac.

original_jamingrit
March 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, this is a trick question, isn't it? If you're only allowed to install Ubuntu on the third one, it's not really an Open Source computer, is it?

Regardless, I guess I'd go Ubuntu.

I-75
March 31st, 2009, 11:18 PM

What would you pick?

You got it because your other pc died, this is the only one you got in the house.

Only one in the house? Ubuntu.

smartboyathome
March 31st, 2009, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't take the laptop, as I am too addicted to Arch. :(

gn2
March 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ubuntu one. Definitely.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't take the laptop, as I am too addicted to Arch. :(

You know you could give to someone, if Arch is that important to you.

TBOL3
March 31st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Define not replacing the OS. Does changing some of the system files count? :)

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
The Ubuntu machine. I can make it do almost what I want. Resources are no issue because I have never used more than 700 MB of RAM.

kernelhaxor
April 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
The Vista machine .. quad core, high end graphics, perfect!

shadylookin
April 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Well I'd like to get a mac so I could make sure any applications I wrote could be used on either linux, mac, or windows. However if it's going to be my only computer then I'd go with the Ubuntu one.

adamlau
April 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
MacBook Pro w/o a doubt. Then I would have three OS X systems to complement my four Linux boxes (yes, I have eight working boxes at home, including XP on a laptop).

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah you'd be selling it as used, doesn't matter if you ever used it, or not. There's a different market for you selling a mac book as apposed to the apple store. People will assume a risk when they purchase from you, and the price will go way down. You would be lucky to get $1000 probably more like $500-600
Er, wrong..

Provided he doesn't use it, he can sell it as New.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 01:35 AM
The Macbook or the Vista, I ain't fussy.

Getting more bang for your buck that way.

jcris
April 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
For sure the ubuntu one...its about the same specs as what I have now so I wouldn't be out anything.

Newuser1111
April 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM

What would you pick?

I would go with the Ubuntu one, but would you?Is the Vista one better than my Compaq Presario F756NR?

You got it because your other pc died, this is the only one you got in the house.All of them?!

cinna
April 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
:D for what i need and the advantages it brings, Ubuntu

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
You'd all turn down a free Windows/Mac License and better hardware?

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 01:50 AM
The ubuntu one, no doubt in my mind.

.Maleficus.
April 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hmmm, only computer left in the house?

I'm torn between the Macbook and the Vista machine. If I can't use Arch or another distro of my choosing, I'd rather have the good hardware.

the8thstar
April 1st, 2009, 06:34 AM
Mac. I already use Ubuntu, Vista and Windows 7. I'd like something new.

JackieChan
April 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Honestly? The Vista one. I have another computer for when I want to use Ubuntu.

popopupa
April 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
I'll choice the Macbook~
Because I haven't got a macbook and I like its design.
Now,I'm using a core-due 1.73G laptop with ubuntu,it's satisfied with me~
If the macbook works on ubuntu,I'll be happier.haha

null.byte
April 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
I'd choose:
It's very good for my needs. BTW, billgoldberg (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=344231), you're satanic :D
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ez04z6.png

sujoy
April 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
i'd take the mac one.
cause i have used windows earlier, i use linux now for about 2 years+.
however, i have never ever used a mac!

tom66
April 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
The Ubuntu one. Wouldn't quad core be bad for battery life?

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
You'd all turn down a free Windows/Mac License and better hardware?

In the scenario I created, yes.

In reality everyone would take the Vista machine, and install the OS they want on it, but that's no fun.

thewolfman
April 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi chaps,

I would (although I like Ubuntu very much!) choose the Vista PC as Ubuntu (Linux in general) is still not flexible enough to do certain chores on my PC.
(Vista of course also has issues with certain older hardware!)

Have a good one.

bruno9779
April 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
The Ubuntu machine you describe is very much like the one I am running, so there lies my choice if I cannot double boot (does your granma hold the password of the bios?).

In reality I would choose the Vista top-end and double boot it with ubuntu.

Backharlow
April 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
MacBook because my old iBook is trapped in the so ancient OSX 10.3 (think: Dapper Drake era with no way out).

tarps87
April 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM

What would you pick?

That's easy More powerful laptop running Vista and swap the hard drive from the old laptop which has Arch on it. It's still option two just extended a bit and I'm not installing it if it's already there :)

Else the Ubuntu laptop.

"You miss the Backyard (omgpp)? Join us at NOMGPP!"
Don't you mean omgpf?

KerryLB
April 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
I'd take the Macbook - always wanted to try out MacOS / Apple, but never been able to afford it.

Trail
April 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Wine counts?

MaxIBoy
April 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
More powerful laptop running Vista (high end quad core, 8gb ram, high end graphics)No such thing as a powerful laptop. Even if you stuffed a lot of high-end components in there, you'd have to nerf them to prevent overheating.

villainy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'd choose the Mac.

but the Ubuntu machine is a close second :)