PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trying to run Live CD on Tosiba Tecra 8000 266mhz

Larryjb
March 31st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have searched for this, but cannot find.
I have an old Toshiba Tecra 8000 266mhz laptop with 192meg of ram.
When I try to load xubuntu 8.10 it says I need 384meg in order to load the live cd. Everything I have read on the web site about xubuntu says it should run in 192. What am I missing?

kirys
March 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Running it installed, on a pc, requires only 192 or less MB of ram, Running a live cd need much more ram.
You can install it using the alternate-install iso.

Larryjb
March 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Should it run reasonably well given the system specs of my old laptop?

I loaded puppy the other day and it seems to run ok, but am having some issues, seems a little flakey, probably my own fault though. Now I want to try xubuntu. I am an extreme newbie to linux, trying to learn something new.

lisati
March 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have a 3-year old Toshiba laptop with only 222Mb available RAM (a bit of a weird number, should be 256, but figuring out that one is another story). The Live CD of Ubuntu runs - not as fast as a full install, but enough to get a basic idea of functionally. There might be hope yet for the OP

Larryjb
April 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ok, new problem. When I ran the Check Cd for defects it get an I/o error reading CD. However when I do the same thing on my newer computer it checks out ok. Would it help if I burned a new cd or is it the cd drive? Would getting one of those cd drive cleaning kits help?