PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell touch pad issue

yahooshua
March 31st, 2009, 05:24 AM
I bought a Dell XPS M1530 Laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 pre-installed thinking that it would come working and with Linux compatible hardware (open source friendly).

It didn't.

First I had to figure out a sound/mic issue. This was resolved simply by activating the correct channels. (Why didn't Dell do that????)

Before I was able to fix that problem I tried installing a fresh Ubuntu 8.04 on a separate partition, thinking that perhaps Dell had done some tweaking to the Ubuntu.

The touch pad would not work with any other install or Live CD. I also tried Kubuntu, Xubuntu and even Suse. The touch pad goes CRRRRAZY! and is useless. Had to use a USB mouse to install and still could not fix the touch pad

So far I have tried to search the forums and all I find are settings that don't really fix the problem. More or less work arounds.

Right now with the original install the touch pad works great. I can use the scroll bar feature as well.

Is there a way I can find or copy some settings? or is it a driver issue?

I still want to install a fresh Ubuntu that is not tainted by Dell.

P.S. Wish I didn't assume Dell would furnish a great Ubuntu Laptop. The only thing that I like about it, is that it plays DVDs without having to search the forums to figure out how to play a DVD.

P.P.S. Bought a Dell for Mom with Ubuntu.. a... uh... Dell Studio (can't remember which). Exact same problems. However, I am impressed that Ubuntu is so user-friendly that "fist-time computer user" mom is able to use it just fine.

yahooshua
April 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
no ideas?