PDA

View Full Version : The Xdrive service is closed!

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 01:16 AM
I used an American Online online storage site called xdrive (xdrive.com) 2 years ago. I just went there to add some files, and the site is closed! Lucky for me I was smart enough to have backed-up to CDs as well, but I'm sure a bunch of people lost a bunch of stuff. If I ever had a chance of trusting online storage, it's gone.

Kingsley
March 31st, 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm sure AOL gave you a notice saying that Xdrive will be closed down. It's the user's fault for not checking the account if he/she loses data.

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 01:23 AM
I'm sure AOL gave you a notice saying that Xdrive will be closed down. It's the user's fault for not checking the account if he/she loses data.

But swoll said he/she backed up his/her data.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 01:26 AM

What? Your saying I have to babysit my online storage, or it's my fault?

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 01:28 AM
But swoll said he/she backed up his/her data.

Yes my data is safe, no thanks to AOL. I was using it as a back up to my back up, thank god.

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 01:34 AM
this is why I believe in dual storage.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 01:39 AM
this is why I believe in dual storage.

I need to come up with something here. I don't trust CD's, and I don't trust online storage. When you combine them, your a little safer, but if I would have damaged the CD, and went to xdrive to get my data, AOL would have felt my wrath for sure,

zipperback
March 31st, 2009, 02:03 AM
In general I feel it is best to have more than one backup of all important data and to store that data off site.

I regularly run a full backup of all my important files once a week and I burn that data to a couple of blank data DVDs.

I then store those archive discs offsite.

I also keep a copy of those archive discs in a small fire safe at home.

Also, when I am working on a project for one of my clients, I will backup the customer project files to blank disc and keep those at an off site location as well. I will do this on a nightly basis.

Then once the project has been completed I provide an archived copy of the project files to the client for safe keeping in addition to the final project files. This way the client will have all data related to their project which they can then keep safe should they ever need it again in the future.

When it comes to secure data storage and backups, it is always a good idea to have multiple copies of your archives stored in separate off site locations.

If you need some place to keep your off site storage of data, then perhaps you might look into renting a safe deposit box from your local bank, or perhaps you could simply rent a small storage unit and keep an archive of your regular backups in there.

Ultimately however, it is the sole responsibility of each of us to use good data security and backup practices for our own data.

Online backup service are generally "ok" to use, but I wouldn't personally feel comforatable with using them as my only source of keeping my data safe.

It's just my thought on the subject, but hopefully you find it somewhat helpful.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Kingsley
March 31st, 2009, 02:04 AM
What? Your saying I have to babysit my online storage, or it's my fault?
I'm saying regular users of the AOL (email?) account would've been notified that Xdrive is gonna close, therefore having enough to time to backup important data.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'm saying regular users of the AOL (email?) account would've been notified that Xdrive is gonna close, therefore having enough to time to backup important data.

I haven't read the mail from my AOL e-mail account in years, It's the account I use to sign up for crap online, and is slammed with spam, and useless crap. I wouldn't be able to find anything useful in there if I tried.

smartboyathome
March 31st, 2009, 02:19 AM
I haven't read the mail from my AOL e-mail account in years, It's the account I use to sign up for crap online, and is slammed with spam, and useless crap. I wouldn't be able to find anything useful in there if I tried.

Ever thought of using temporaryinbox.com? That is what I use for those. :)

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 02:24 AM
Ever thought of using temporaryinbox.com? That is what I use for those. :)

Never heard of it. I imagine it would be convenient though.