PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing Ubuntu

alexinexile
March 31st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Sorry if theres explainations to my problems somewhere but i just couldn't see them!

Im a total Linux n00b. Ive been building my own PC's for a few years (im no expert but i can put together a system and install Windows *spits*) but ive had a bit of bad luck recently.

My main PC died and i built a new one two months ago. Then 'joy of joys' my HHD dies... long story slightly shorter is that my boss gave me his old PC to use until i get mine sorted.

Its a Compaq Pressario 6000. 2ghz celeron. 760mb or ram and 45gb's HDD. It has WIndows XP on it but no Windows disk. It runs incredibly slowly and id like to try Ubuntu as i have heard alot of good thing about it.

I tried running the Ubuntu disk but it wont start. It loads up and just as its about to start the screen just goes weird with a small black X in the middle.

Ive tried the disk in my new laptop and it runs no problem. Is there something wrong with my hardware? I cant risk doing a full install if it wont work.

Any ideas? Or should i give up and put up with Windows being rubbish?

alexinexile
March 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Ive started reading the free guide but any help would really be appreciated. Im a real fan of Open Source software (love Firefox and Open Office) and was really looking forward to testing it out!

ppb7
March 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Its a Compaq Pressario 6000. 2ghz celeron. 760mb or ram and 45gb's HDD. It has WIndows XP on it but no Windows disk. It runs incredibly slowly and id like to try Ubuntu as i have heard alot of good thing about it.

I seem to be in the same situation as you, only with a slightly different spec., but an infuriatingly and boringly slow XP.
I had a magazine disc of Gutsy and thought I'd try it out. Sadly, after the introductory graphics-based screen when gutsy seems to be loading, I got a blank screen and a message "input over range". So I looked for possible fixes on the forum.N ow, if i want to load the live CD of gutsy, when I reach the menu I press F6 (other options). The boot menu then appears, I backspace delete "quiet splash--" and type "text". my understanding is that the graphical display showing that ubuntu is loading, is by-passed and text-based loading instructions appear. Then I leave it to load (after the instructions, a pale orange screen appears then goes blank then pale orange again then the Gnome desktop becomes visible with a disk icon named "install").
Alternatively, to go straight to install mode, I have opened the CD contents and double-clicked on start.exe (don't know if there is such file on every version though) which took me to a screen where I could install the OS straightaway.
hope this helps, but I am sure more experienced users will correct me if necessary.

alexinexile
March 31st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for replying. Not sure it really helps.

I have been trying to use the test ubuntu feature (running it without installing) as i cant risk installing it, wiping windows and killing yet another PC!

If there is a way to install Ubuntu without wiping XP that would be really useful.

alexinexile
March 31st, 2009, 11:00 AM
Thought perhaps i didnt have enough free space but theres 8-9 gb's.

I stuck the dvd drive from another pc in so im going to get the drivers and try again.

Connected to the net, got the dvd drive to show up and did some software removing.

Tried the CD again. Loads right up to when the desktop should appear. Im left with a black screen and a white cursor (which moves) and the CD is spinning away... cant eject it either.

Any ideas?

alexinexile
March 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Just successfully installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my reaaally old machine. Seems to run fine.

Still cant see whats wrong with the Compaq!

xaos
March 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Have you tried Wubi?
http://wubi-installer.org/

I haven't tried it myself, but if I understand correctly you can install it from within windows and try it, if it doesn't work / you don't like it you can just uninstall it like a windows program again...

alexinexile
April 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Well since my oldddd machine seems to be running it fine i might risk a full install(if it doesnt work i still have the old one working).

Fingers crossed!