PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RE-INSTALL Sound Driver

joshjh
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone,
I have had what seems to be a common problem. My sound did not work when i installed ubuntu 10. Now upon trying to fix this i apparently uninstalled my sound driver. Doesn anyone know how to reinstall this? I am totally lost on how to do this any help would be great. Thanks

khelben1979
March 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
sudo dmesg
and post the output here.

If your Linux kernel have sound for your sound- chip/card inbuilt, then you just need to adjust the volume meters using alsamixer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsamixer).

If it comes as a module, this sound module must be activated by either using the insmod or modprobe command for this.

man insmod and
man modprobe for documentation on how to use these commands. You need to know the name of the module which could be
sudo modprobe sb if it is an old soundblaster chip/card.

OldManRiver
March 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone,
I have had what seems to be a common problem. My sound did not work when i installed ubuntu 10. Now upon trying to fix this i apparently uninstalled my sound driver. Doesn anyone know how to reinstall this? I am totally lost on how to do this any help would be great. Thanks

J,

Some MB sound chipsets are not in the standard kernel source, so have to be looked up, downloaded and installed seperately. I had this problem on one MB setup.

There are commands that will put the addition code into your kernel build, but forgot them. On my MB sound problem I mentioned, I was installing something, forgot what, which caused Grub errors, so kept loosing the sound drivers, as was starting over from scratch each time. Recommend a good recovery program, installed and rec-CD burnt, before tackling the sound patch, so you won't have to start over, like I did on that one (3 times, before I got smart).

OMR