PDA

View Full Version : Linux Visibility

zornan
March 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have tried numerous distros, but find myself always coming back to Ubuntu, partly because of this community, partly because of the philosophy, partly because the OS just works.. many reasons really. But i'm starting to get a little bitter that Ubuntu or linux in general, seems to still only reside in the back alleys of computer nerd-dom.A friend of mine uses vista. About every few months I spend about 3 hours fixing it becasue of some problem or another. I am also constantly fixing my parent's and my aunts computer which seem to be prepetually infected with virsus. I would even format the dumb thinsg and start over, and sure enough a month later something is broken. My parents then bought a Mac, which makes me a bit angry. Granted Macs look nice, but why would someone spend 2 grand on a computer to avoid the mess of viruses when one can have linux for free and keep your hardware? Windows is so engrained in people that even when it fails constantly, they will support it, because to them ther isn't anything else out there. Sure linux comes on some dells, but who, other than open source advocates, will buy them? Sure linux is starting to make head way with mobile divices, but will people know their pda has linux on it and what that means? SO enough ranting, my question is this. How can the Ubuntu and/or Linux community make itself more known? Since we don't have Microsoft's cash to advertise and place products in movies and such, is it up to us individually to spread the word and software? I have been using Linux on my desktop at home and for business for about 3 years now and other than issues with some hardware drivers (printers) I would say Linux is "good" for the masses. How can this community get from cyber space to our physical communities?

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Word of mouth seems to be a good strategy, or posting interest in linux also is a factor.

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Linux should do the same thing it has always done. Continue working on the system to make it as good as possible - and the rest will follow suit. Who cares if people want to use Windows or Mac? It's their money.

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think Microsoft is actually helping with Linux visibility for numerous reasons.

Even if we passively try to spread Linux, it is growing quite rapidly. The Linux Users Group that I belong to invented SCALE (Southern California All-Linux Expo), and it was been growing quite rapidly as well.

(If you do not know about SCALE, it is one of the largest community/volunteer based Expo's on the West Coast.)

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Simply enough: donate the money you would spend on Windows on Linux projects. If they have the money then they can buy the developers and the ad space.

Sure its free, but we all should donate what we can.

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
linux doesn't really advertise. microsoft and apple have tons of ads. advertising works (civilization only being in its early stages, apparently).

zornan
March 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
@ firestem4... maybe that is one of the things we can do. a Linux User group sounds liek a great idea.. said group inventing a linux convention is awesome. I'll have to look more into it. out of curiosity, how many are in your linux user group?