PDA

View Full Version : Sendmail username/group?

Loan_Refi
March 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hi I have been triying to set up Sendmail for about 5 days whenever I have time.

I did it for sending email from commandline fast & easy. I only have a need for outbound email only.

I have setup Sendmail + Nail successfully as follows;

# apt-get install sendmail
# apt-get install Nail

after I install sendmail I configured sendmail with the following command;
# sendmailconfig
I answered Yes for the the questions and I set up Masquerade to show my domain name in;

/etc/mail/sendmail.mc

I added the following lines to the bottom of the file;

MASQUERADE_AS(MyDomain.com)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(MyDomain.com)dnl

Replace mydomain.com with your domain name.

I have been using it this setup with MS.Exchange no POP account and I only use it for outgoing mail.

I have set up Sendmail on two other machines for using Drupal & fax to email "gtkfax".

In case anyone has knowledge on how to set the correct email username correctly please let me know.

This is what I did to set my emial to display correctly;

I created a new user with with;

useradd
I set the password with
passwd newuser

when I send out an email I change to the username I created and it displays my correct email address

BUT

Then I found out by reading these Nail instructions;

http://linux.die.net/man/1/nail

that you can set the "From" address by typing;

-r joesomebody@example.com

So there is no need to create a new user account for your system just so one can display the correct From email address.

I still want to know if anyone has knowledge on how to set the /etc/mail/genericstable so that I can avoid having to type "From myemail@example.com" everytime I send an email.

What I want to do is map my real email address to my local user account so this process would be done automatically.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thread moved. If you're asking a new question, start a new thread; do not hijack an existing thread.