PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United shirts in America.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'm a United fan in Ireland, but I was wondering if it's true that United fans in America get a really hard time if they wear their AIG-sponsored replica shirts?

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Btw, for the non-footballing among you, manchester united are the English soccer team that David Beckham played for.

zaphodbblx
March 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
awww snap!

Johnsie
March 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I doubt it. They'd just think it was cool that you were Irish and had a real "soccer" shirt. Wear an Irish rugby shirt and the girls will be all over you like flies around %$^

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I don't mean myself specifically, I just mean people wearing them in general. i've hear some reports of it.

steeleyuk
March 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
They should get a hard time for just being United fans. ;)

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I'm a United fan in Ireland, but I was wondering if it's true that United fans in America get a really hard time if they wear their AIG-sponsored replica shirts?

I would certainly hope so.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The media have vastly overhyped the lynch-mob mentality out here. I have not myself witnessed any violence at anyone wearing anything marked AIG--nor am I aware of any such incidents.

Johnsie
March 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
In Ireland people have been beaten up for wearing football tops. Just last weekend there was a bit of trouble between N. Ireland and Polish fans. I doubt there would be any more risk in the US.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
In Ireland people have been beaten up for wearing football tops. Just last weekend there was a bit of trouble between N. Ireland and Polish fans. I doubt there would be any more risk in the US.
Much less, actually. But now that you mention Poland---

I was in Krakow this summer. One of my friends had bought a Wisla shirt--unwisely, it turned out, since the neighborhood we were staying in was solidly Cracovia. So my friend goes out wearing his Wisla shirt, and a drunken Carcovia supporter starts harassing him.

Violence was averted through the good offices of some of our Polish friends: the Cracovia supporter agreed not to beat my friend into a bloody pulp, while my friend agreed to take off his Wisla shirt and not display it openly.

Now, there are drunken louts everywhere, but this type of hooliganism is generally thought to be a European vice here in North America.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM

:p

Keep your thieving hands off our Ronny!!

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I would certainly hope so.

Is that just a footballing dig, or do you mean they should get a hard time for the AIG bit?

mips
March 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Now, there are drunken louts everywhere, but this type of hooliganism is generally thought to be a European vice here in North America.

+1 the herd mentality of people is really shocking, god it's a game.

Another area this occurs is Central & South America to a large degree.

Soccer is a sport I really dislike.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM

But that's for a whole different reason over here, far more deep rooted and political.

I'm just referring to the fact that it has got an AIG logo on it.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
+1 the herd mentality of people is really shocking, god it's a game.

Another area this occurs is Central & South America to a large degree.

Soccer is a sport I really dislike.
I love the game; I'm not a fan of the violence.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I love the game; I'm not a fan of the violence.

+1. The people who use it as an excuse for violence would find another excuse if the game ceased to exist.

majabl
March 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM

+1

And especially so living half the planet away from Trafford!

steeleyuk
March 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
And especially so living half the planet away from Trafford!

I'm from the UK but support Real so I can't complain about those fans. Though to be fair, I have been to the Bernabeu twice this season... at great expense.

South America is bad, many people over there see football as a religion rather than a sport. I remember pictures in a magazine once, probably a World Soccer or FIFA mag. First pictures shows a bunch of fans in white and one fan in this group in red. The next picture shows the fan in red being dangled off the second tier. Needless to say he died. Too far, its just a game after all.

craigeo
March 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Where I live in America no one respects soccer so you would get harassed for wearing any soccer clothes, wouldn't matter which team.

Stan_1936
March 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Where I live in America no one respects soccer so you would get harassed for wearing any soccer clothes, wouldn't matter which team.

Haha!:)

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Is that just a footballing dig, or do you mean they should get a hard time for the AIG bit?

Fooball, I didn't twig the AIG bit until you asked.

I don't like Alex Ferguson much. Besides, you don't have to give any reasons in football.:)

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Fooball, I didn't twig the AIG bit until you asked.

I don't like Alex Ferguson much. Besides, you don't have to give any reasons in football.:)

Ah fair enough! Sir Alex is like marmite, either you love him or you hate him.

Johnsie
March 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Whether you like or dislike him, you have to admit that he's probably the best manager of all time in the premier league. I coached two soccer teams in the US. It's probably the only physically active field sport that is popular there other than basketball. IN 2007 the top selling sports item in the US was a David Beckham LA Galaxy top.

Polygon
March 31st, 2009, 05:50 AM
at least where i live ( in a very non-sports centric city however), no one would care in the least what shirt you wore, let alone a soccer jersey.

However, you mentioned that it had the AIG logo? that might stir up some talk, just because of the whole AIG bonus thing.

but if that issue had never existed, i do not see anything bad happening over soccer. America doesn't really care about soccer that much anyway

mips
March 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM
...other than basketball.

Now there is something fun to play. We used to play 2 on 2 on a local netball court. Basketball is not big over here as you can imagine.

suitedaces
March 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
at least where i live ( in a very non-sports centric city however), no one would care in the least what shirt you wore, let alone a soccer jersey.

However, you mentioned that it had the AIG logo? that might stir up some talk, just because of the whole AIG bonus thing.

but if that issue had never existed, i do not see anything bad happening over soccer. America doesn't really care about soccer that much anyway

From what I have heard that's the whole point. No one (that I know of) is going "get the united fans", it's just (apparently) the hatred stirred up by the AIG logo.

wrtpeeps
March 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM
But that's for a whole different reason over here, far more deep rooted and political.

I'm just referring to the fact that it has got an AIG logo on it.

What are you waffling about?

I'm a block booker at Northern Ireland matches, I attend all the games. I was there on Wednesday night and I witnessed some of the trouble.

The trouble had nothing to do with politics but rather ticketless Polish fans who came over for the sole intention of stirring up trouble. Unfortunately, Belfast is the wrong place to come looking for trouble and some of them got it.

It annoys me as Polish fans are renowned for their hooligan element, they're right up there with England for having scum supporters. The Police could and should have handled it better.

Beating them felt GOOD, I've never felt so good about beating a team since we beat England.

Stan_1936
April 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
AIG won't be the sponsor after next season(2009-2010). So if American United fans are getting beaten up for wearing AIG across their chest, they will only have to deal with it for another season.

After that, they'll be able to buy the new shirt with a different sponsor: Saudi Oil.

Eclipse.
April 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM

This.:P