PDA

View Full Version : First Time Script

AndyGibo
March 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi people,

I'm being very ambitious here. I am basically trying to turn the instructions from here(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4963842) into a script.

Problems

1) This is the first time I've EVER played around with scripts and I dont fully understand the language!
2) I have discovered the command sed but one line I need to change (e.g. Enable=false) appears more than once and I'm not sure how to change just the one line I need to.

Other than that I've stumbled around and managed to sort the rest out.

So... any ideas anyone?!?!

AndyGibo
March 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Bump Bump Bump

lakersforce
March 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
If you have a specific question, fire away.

AndyGibo
March 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
2) I have discovered the command sed but one line I need to change (e.g. Enable=false) appears more than once and I'm not sure how to change just the one line I need to.

Any ideas on how to alter just the one line and not every line that matches?? Is it possible?

bapoumba
March 31st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Moved to PT.

AndyGibo
March 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Bump again

andrew.46
March 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi AndyGibo,

Can you give the actual text? sed can certainly do this but you need to provide an exact copy of the text you wish to alter.

All the best,

Andrew

Arndt
March 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM

Any ideas on how to alter just the one line and not every line that matches?? Is it possible?

I'm guessing a little, maybe you want something like this:

sed '/\[xdmcp\]/,/^[\t ]*$/s/Enable=false/Enable=true/'

With the following input:

[xdmcp]
Enable=false

[xdmcp2]
Enable=false

My 'sed' command replaces the first Enabled=false, but not the second. What it does literally is replace Enabled=false with Enabled=true within a text block that starts with [xdmcp] and ends with a completely blank line (end of file works too).

With all the quoting and regexp removed, it does /first line/,/last line/s/line to be changed/changed line/

The s is the substitute command in 'sed'.

AndyGibo
April 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Woo hoo!!

Had to split the total script into two halves but other than that it works!! Now I really should learn how that line works!

Thanks loads!