PDA

View Full Version : Will people think I'm a nerd if I wear an Ubuntu shirt in public?

JackieChan
March 30th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I love my Ubuntu swag, I have a stuffed tux plush and some Ubuntu stickers right now. Been thinking about getting some more merchandise, like maybe an Ubuntu mouse pad or an Ubuntu shirt? My biggest concern is if I were to wear an Ubuntu shirt in public, would people label me as a nerd? I have low self-esteem and don't like being labeled. :(

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Mac shirt or a Windows shirt, my friends would all laugh at me and no girls would talk to me if I did that. What makes an Ubuntu shirt any different from those?

C!oud
March 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Edit: Actually probably not, most people will have no idea what it is and will probably just say that it looks like a cool logo (except for those who recognize it for what it is and then you will have mutual nerd respect which is always awesome :D). As long as you're happy with yourself that's all that matters.

Muffinabus
March 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Ubuntu being a bit more obscure, I'd say you could prolly get away with it easily. The only people whowould be able to call you out on it would be other nerds who know what it is.

OutOfReach
March 30th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Ubuntu being a bit more obscure, I'd say you could prolly get away with it easily. The only people whowould be able to call you out on it would be other nerds who know what it is.

I agree with this, most people wouldn't recognize the Ubuntu logo, they'd just think it was another logo.

Dr Small
March 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM
My biggest concern is if I were to wear an Ubuntu shirt in public, would people label me as a nerd? I have low self-esteem and don't like being labeled. :(

I actually love it when people call me a nerd or a geek :) That just shows that someone took the time to notice that I am one.

Sarai the Geek
March 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM
My favorite pair of jeans have Ubuntu logos on them. The only people who recognize the logo are people into open source software. Everyone else just thinks it's a cool design.

Trust me, if a person knows enough about Ubuntu to know that you're a nerd for wearing the shirt, they're a nerd too, but a closet nerd which is worse. Does that make sense?

benny bronx
March 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Put the logo on a leather vest. Everyone will think you're a biker.

gletob
March 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM
A: Heh heh look at that loser over there wearing a ubuntu shirt.
B: Yeah! Ubuntu's for losers
A: Arch is for real geeks
B: What? I thought you used Gentoo?
A: No Not for two years
B: Oh my god!
A: What?!?
B: I can't see you any more.
A: NO!!!
B: I'm sorry but it's for the best
A: Ok but can we go beat up that dude with the Fedora on first?
B: Sure

t0p
March 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Put the logo on a leather vest. Everyone will think you're a biker.

Or have the logo tattooed on your forehead. Everyone will think you're in some kind of cult. "Worship Ubuntu!! Moo-ha-ha!!"

Eviltechie
March 30th, 2009, 04:56 AM
As long as you don't have a shirt that says "got root?", you should be fine. Everyone makes me explain what it means.

damis648
March 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM

:lolflag:
I like being labeled a geek, but not based on the OS I use, I try to get a wide exposure. I like Ubuntu right now though, it's all I use. I plan to install Arch and Ubuntu on a new desktop I will be getting, though.

dogeatery
March 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
You could just do what you feel like and not let worries about what others think dictate your decision-making ... I'm just sayin'

Rokurosv
March 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Is it ok to call youself a geek or other people have to call you one?

Anyways, I think most people won't recognize an Ubuntu shirt, the ones that do, are either gonna think you're a noob or that you're cool. Just a wild guess.

doorknob60
March 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Nerds will, average people won't know what the hell it is, and if they do, then they're probably aa fellow nerd too :D

Sarai the Geek
March 30th, 2009, 06:45 AM
As long as you don't have a shirt that says "got root?", you should be fine. Everyone makes me explain what it means.

Haha! Geek shirts are the best.

ghindo
March 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yes.

fissionmailed
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Should you care?

Eisenwinter
March 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM

cracked me up, thanks!

mips
March 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I have low self-esteem and don't like being labeled. :(

But you will wear a label...

jespdj
March 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM
OFCOURSE they will think you're a nerd, but what's bad about that?! :D :biggrin:

gn2
March 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Mac shirt or a Windows shirt, my friends would all laugh at me and no girls would talk to me if I did that. What makes an Ubuntu shirt any different from those?

Simple answer: nothing.

If your friends laugh at you for wearing an Ubuntu shirt then are they really your friends? I think not.
Girls who won't talk to you because of your clothing probably aren't worth talking to anyway.

Wear what you want, not what others dictate to you.
Don't be steered too much by the opinions of those whose opinions shouldn't matter.
Be yourself, make your own decisions, do your own thing, if that's an Ubuntu shirt, wear it because you want to.

MickS
March 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Where can I get one?

Mick

t0p
March 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Where can I get one?

I'm sure if you do a search at www.ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com) you'll find one.

gnomeuser
March 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have the Hardy Heron polo shirt, it's very comfortable. I wear it to the gym. I don't use Ubuntu, but I will admit of the Linux distros out there, Ubuntu has the best shirts. They don't have that cafe express low quality feel unlike most distros t-shirts.

Regardless, I have never had a bad experience wearing Linux t-shirts, I have been stopped a few times by fellow users which generally leads to interesting conversations.

Be yourself, it's the only person you can be - if that person wears a Ubuntu shirt so be it, all I can say is rock on.

speedwell68
March 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I have an Ubuntu T-Shirt and Hoody. I wear them all the time, sometimes I wear them together, sometimes I don't. The only bloke ever to comment, was a noob that just wanted to know about Ubuntu. I find that the T-Shirt is most useful in shops like PC World. It has 'Linux for Human Beings' in big letters on the back and it tends to scare the staff off a bit.:D

As for making you less popular with the Ladies, it is a known fact that chicks like geeks. Also, Linux users are 100% more sexy than a Windows Vista user.

rodneymillerpca
March 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Not sure on that one, However an Ubuntu coffee mug is great for heating up new friends and conversation. LOL!

pwnst*r
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I love my Ubuntu swag, I have a stuffed tux plush and some Ubuntu stickers right now. Been thinking about getting some more merchandise, like maybe an Ubuntu mouse pad or an Ubuntu shirt? My biggest concern is if I were to wear an Ubuntu shirt in public, would people label me as a nerd? I have low self-esteem and don't like being labeled. :(

it's nerdy. if you're concerned about labeling, then don't wear one.

pwnst*r
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
As for making you less popular with the Ladies, it is a known fact that chicks like geeks. Also, Linux users are 100% more sexy than a Windows Vista user.

lulz.

Lunx
March 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Only if you sew a pocket onto it so you can carry a notebook and three different coloured pens...

And since when did nerds become concerned with fashion sense?

jespdj
March 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Where can I get one?
http://shop.canonical.com/

As for making you less popular with the Ladies, it is a known fact that chicks like geeks.
You must be living in a different parallel universe than me. ;)

tdrusk
March 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I like Ubuntu, but I would not wear the shirt unless I was going to a Computer Science meeting or something.

I do like my Ubuntu coffee mug though.

rodneymillerpca
March 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I do like my Ubuntu coffee mug though.
I knew I wasn't the only one. lol

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I would imagine the only people who notice will be fellow linux users. So as long as you don't run into a die-hard arch fan, you're grand! Most people will see the "odd" name and cool logo. You may have to answer a few innocent questions though.

CrazyArcher
March 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Nerds will think you're a nerd, yes. Others probably don't have a clue what Ubuntu is ;)

PuddingKnife
March 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Wear the shirt. Seeking approval is lame.

Dr Small
March 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM
So as long as you don't run into a die-hard arch fan, you're grand!
Yeah, like me? ;)

I like that shirt, and the one that says "meh"

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
most people who would call you a geek, will have no idea what it is. they may still come to that conclusion based on other observations.

Z0014ND3l2
March 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Wear the Shirt Bro. Ubuntu Logos are a total “Chick-Magnet”. And as for others calling you out as a “Nerd”; They are just jealous that they can never rock it as good as you. Also you can call them a nerd right back for knowing what your shirt was. +2 Kool Points coming your way ;P

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
If people ask, tell them it's a Death Metal band.

Johnsie
March 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Only a geek would recognise the logo. It takes one to catch one

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Only a geek would recognise the logo. It takes one to catch one
+1. People wear logo tees all the time. If you're concerned that people will think you're not cool because you're wearing an OS logo on your shirt, well--you really shouldn't care.

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
It was a really cute girl in an Ubuntu t-shirt that first got me thinking about... about...

Well about a few things, actually. Ubuntu being one of them.

/True story...

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
It was a really cute girl in an Ubuntu t-shirt that first got me thinking about... about...

/True story...
This makes me feel old. When I was that age, the choices were MS-DOS 6.22 and Mac System 7.

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
This makes me feel old.
You're never too old to appreciate a cute girl.

Ubuntu t-shirt or no.

(Turned 43 in Feb... )

MickS
March 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Just ordered a Kubuntu T shirt from Canonical. I'm old enough (57) not to care much what people think. I'm planning on wearing it when I go bird watching, that'll confuse them:lolflag:

Mick

markp1989
March 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM

yes they will, but wear it anyway:D

edit: i still wana get an arch top, but i havnt seen any the i like.

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I actually own a Thunderbird and a Firefox shirt, form back in the day, when both were still in 1.0 and 1.5. People used to comment on how cool the logos were, only one guy ever called me out on it, and he was wearing one too.

And a Cute girl wearing an Ubuntu shirt, I don't believe it, pictures equal proof, and not the fake model pics from the Ubuntu Store. LOL

Bart_D
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM

/True story...

Hahahahaha!!!!!!:):P:P:P:P

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Damn. I couldn't stop laughing at that. I'm so saving that!

Kind of funny because one of my friends in real life wears a Fedora constantly (He has no idea what Fedora linux is) It still however annoys the hell out of me, it makes him look like an idiot...

(Not because he doesn't know linux...I mean...the hat just looks bad. BLAH)

Stan_1936
March 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Well about a few things, actually. Ubuntu being one of them.......

I want that girl!!!

Did you ask her for her a/s/l?

ugm6hr
March 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Funny how all the "can we have something other than brown" arguments don't apply to clothing :)

Looking at the hoody now.... Tempted

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Kind of funny because one of my friends in real life wears a Fedora constantly (He has no idea what Fedora linux is) It still however annoys the hell out of me, it makes him look like an idiot...

Maybe he is just a fan of the Indiana Jones Movies.

S0VERE1GN
March 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
not if you're jacked.

I wear a shirt with a 20 sided die around in public cuz it makes my pecs look HUGE! :-p

the sad thing is im serious.

linuxisevolution
March 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
When people see my Ubuntu logo on my laptop at school they call me and idiot for not using Windows XP...

Most people don't know what it is, so if you walked around with a shirt labeled "Roswell" most people will think it's a type of beer, but it's actually a computer peripherals company :lolflag:

sanderella
March 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have worn my Linux for Ladies Tshirt, but only to the LUG. :)

markp1989
March 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM

(Not because he doesn't know linux...I mean...the hat just looks bad. BLAH)

i love the use of "my friend in real life" as if your trying to remind your self there is a real world.

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
When people see my Ubuntu logo on my laptop at school they call me and idiot for not using Windows XP...

Most people don't know what it is, so if you walked around with a shirt labeled "Roswell" most people will think it's a type of beer, but it's actually a computer peripherals company :lolflag:

I like their case fans =)

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
i love the use of "my friend in real life" as if your trying to remind your self there is a real world.

:cry:...My Shrink said im getting better!!!

linuxisevolution
March 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Just ordered a Kubuntu T shirt from Canonical. I'm old enough (57) not to care much what people think. I'm planning on wearing it when I go bird watching, that'll confuse them:lolflag:

Mick

Cool. Another Ubuntu user that also bird watches ;)

linuxisevolution
March 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I like their case fans =)

Me too, except the one in my gaming rig has 1 of it's bright LED's that keeps flickering and going dim. The funny part is it matters what temperature my room is.

Also:

*Father sitting at my computer* "I hurt my finger"
me: "how? and why are you at my computer??"

Father: "The side of your computer was off and I saw that shiny spinning thing, and I poked it with my finger"

Me: "You poked a case fan?"

Father: "What?"
//true story
:popcorn:

markp1989
March 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Me too, except the one in my gaming rig has 1 of it's bright LED's that keeps flickering and going dim. The funny part is it matters what temperature my room is.

Also:

*Father sitting at my computer* "I hurt my finger"
me: "how? and why are you at my computer??"

Father: "The side of your computer was off and I saw that shiny spinning thing, and I poked it with my finger"

Me: "You poked a case fan?"

Father: "What?"
//true story
:popcorn:

lol sounds like somthing my cat would do.

Marlonsm
March 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
As long as the shirt doesn't have the word "Linux" in it, most people won't even know what it is about.

Show them Compiz, ask about viruses and say "Who's idiot now?":lolflag:

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
As long as the shirt doesn't have the word "Linux" in it, most people won't even know what it is about.

Show them Compiz, ask about viruses and say "Who's idiot now?":lolflag:

Or you can just show them the shiny extra 200 dollars you have in your wallet.

Oh...did they buy Microsoft Office? +$399 =)

linuxisevolution
March 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Or you can just show them the shiny extra 200 dollars you have in your wallet.

Oh...did they buy Microsoft Office? +$399 =)

LOL good point.

Show them Compiz, ask about viruses and say "Who's idiot now?"

Did that, he said "Windows Xp only takes a half a gig to run"
I said "I run ttylinux at home on 32 meggs"

-silence-

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I want that girl!!!
No. No you don't.

Short, sassy, bob-cut brunette hair, big brown doe-eyes, pretty little innocent smile and magnum rack aside, her name is Lauren and she's a total f'ing nut-job. Seriously. Oh! And a spoiled-brat rich kid/professional student on Mommy and Daddy's dollar. Last I heard she was teaching English for the Peace Corps in Viet Nam or Korea or some such place.

I might have the pic though... I'll look when I get home.

bhishan
March 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
most wont know what it is, it might look cool.

days_of_ruin
March 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Speaking of ubuntu merchandise, has anyone here bought the wireless mouse for sale at the ubuntu shop?

markp1989
March 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Speaking of ubuntu merchandise, has anyone here bought the wireless mouse for sale at the ubuntu shop?

wouldnt it be ironic if it wasnt supported by the linux kernel lol

no i havnt brought 1, i may be tempted after i look at it thou.

edit: im tempted, but i thinkg that £12 is a bit much . im not sure what shipping costs.

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
No. No you don't.

Short, sassy, bob-cut brunette hair, big brown doe-eyes, pretty little innocent smile and magnum rack aside, her name is Lauren and she's a total f'ing nut-job. Seriously. Oh! And a spoiled-brat rich kid/professional student on Mommy and Daddy's dollar. Last I heard she was teaching English for the Peace Corps in Viet Nam or Korea or some such place.

I might have the pic though... I'll look when I get home.

She sounds like most of the girls I've dated... :popcorn:

jenkinbr
March 30th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I actually want to get one.

Might serve as a geek-finder, in that other Ubuntu users on campus may notice and come up to me. :)

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
She sounds like most of the girls I've dated... :popcorn:
*Nods knowingly*

Therion's Dating Axiom:

1. Gorgeous
2. Smart
3. Sane

Pick two.

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 12:01 AM

Most likely not, as most people don't have a clue what Ubuntu is.

They will just think it's some kind of clothing brand.

If it however says "linux for human beings", you might get some weird looks.

A lot more people have a least heard of linux, and yes most will think it's nerdy.

And you have to admit, wearing Linux clothing makes you a geek/nerd.

It's up to you if you think that's bad or good.

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:11 AM
Even if anyone in the world knew what ubuntu was and used micro$oft and apple products, I would walk with it on proudly. Even if it meant being beaten up.

Lunx
March 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM
*Nods knowingly*

Therion's Dating Axiom:

1. Gorgeous
2. Smart
3. Sane

Pick two.

Two??? Two??? You obviously get to meet a lot better class of female than myself :)

cardinals_fan
March 31st, 2009, 01:13 AM
If you can't handle a little good-natured mocking from your friends, you need to loosen up. If your friends actually care about a shirt you wear, you need new friends. If you have no friends, you don't need to worry about being labeled, because nobody will care.

In general, strangers don't and probably never will care about you unless you put yourself out there. The shirt you wear is irrelevant.

mamamia88
March 31st, 2009, 01:25 AM
if i saw someone wearing a ubuntu tshirt in public it would my day

Chemical Imbalance
March 31st, 2009, 01:26 AM
if i saw someone wearing a ubuntu tshirt in public it would my day

I'm not the kind of person to walk up to a stranger and start chatting, but I definitely would in this case :)

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 01:34 AM
I would imagine that anyone that knew what that logo is, enjoys the same level of geekdom as you.

ubuntu27
March 31st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Where can I get one?

Mick

Canonical Store: https://shop.canonical.com/

LookTJ
March 31st, 2009, 03:22 AM
“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Think about this quote.

JackieChan
March 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM
You'll put that in a nice perspective for me. :)

I think I just might get the shirt, now that I know a lot of people won't know what it is. It's got a cool logo and name. Besides, I would get to meet new Ubuntu fans. I already know one, me and him talk all the time during lunch. He rips on me because my last name happens to be a music file type. :lolflag:

hanzomon4
March 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM

Trust me when you get older... I'm assuming you're young, high school maybe?... All of the things you think make you a nerd will win you nothing but praise. As long as you learn to embrace you... cool, ladies, and unquestionable self esteem will be intimately linked to your name. Look at it this way.. no one will ever like you if you're never YOU.

P.S. I saw this really hot chick on the way to a gallery opening and low and behold she whipped out a Linux magazine. The bus was a crowded mess but I couldn't pass up the chance to chat up a super sexy linux geek. There's tons of attractive women in Chicago, but they don't have super cow powers like this girl. Point is... she stood out from all the other gorgeous women because of her nerdy sensibilities.. To me anyway

TeoK
March 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
Q:Will people think I'm a nerd if I wear an Ubuntu shirt in public?

A: No.
- Most people have no clue what Ubuntu is or what it does.

Unfortunately Ubuntu Linux is strictly geek-oriented platform and it will stay obscure well into foreseeable future, imo.

So keep a low-profile if you wanna get laid, lol.

gn2
March 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM
He rips on me because my last name happens to be a music file type.

So you have Scottish ancestry (http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Ogg)?

You'll need to get a kilt to wear with your Ubuntu shirt, nothing stimulates womens' curiosity quite like the kilt, it is the ultimate babe magnet.

Just think, this could be you.... (http://kiltrental.com/Prom%20Black%20Watch%20kilt.jpg)

s.fox
March 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
I don't think anybody will think you are a nerd if you wear an ubuntu shirt. Most people wouldn't even recognoze the logo.

On a side note: I too have scottish roots. :)

LuigiAntoniol
March 31st, 2009, 10:10 AM
The Ubuntu logo is, to the uninitiated, what the Pepsi logo is to a backward tribe in the middle of some jungle.

Outside of South Africa, the word Ubuntu is associated with a Linux distro (at least, to those who know what Linux is).

Inside South Africa, the relationship is vastly different.

This link provides a meaning to the origins of the word "UBUNTU" and why the ethos of the distro is as it is.

http://www.capetimes.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=335&fArticleId=2522971

The logo of Ubuntu Linux represents that ethos perfectly. However, in South Africa, those who are not Linux lovers will see no meaning to the logo.

So you're basically "preaching to the converted".

As for myself, show me where I can get Ubuntu stuff.

Achetar
March 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
The question is: Is being labeled a nerd a bad thing? Answer: Yes.

Wear it in public, people who don't know will not care, and people who do will be awed at your support of Ubuntu