PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you change the colour of grub text?

Mehashi
March 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi Guys!

I was being bragged at by a college friend about his new system and he mentioned that his boot up text was blue. Naturally I asked him how to do this thing, but he is the kind of guy who likes to be better so would not tell me!

Anyone who has read my posts will realise I like pink and black, so I would like to know if I can change my grub text to pink and leave the background black?

Thanks for any help!
Domo!
^_^

Tirk
March 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
You may just uncomment the line
color cyan/blue white/blue
in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, for a try.
You need to be root (sudo) of course. For other colours just read man.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/color.html

transmition
March 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
For pink, you would use magenta.

Mehashi
March 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM
You may just uncomment the line
color cyan/blue white/blue
in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, for a try.
You need to be root (sudo) of course. For other colours just read man.

I was just a little worried that if I made a silly mistake I may not be able to boot to repair the damage? Although I have used ubuntu for a long time I have little experience in changing system files so I am still anxious!

Ill make a backup of menu.lst in the same directory called originalmenu.lst then try something...

Thanks!
^_-

Tirk
March 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Just edit only line with color and nothing should happen, even if you mess up with color beyond readable, you may just than wait to boot ubuntu default kernel and than fix it.
It is always wise to backup....:)

transmition
March 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Worst case scenario you muddle things up, and have to boot into a live cd to repair the problem. Nothing difficult, all just restore the original boot file.

Mehashi
March 30th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks Guys!

I am now doing it, but I lack terminal skills and so far have managed to rename menu.lst to originalmenu.lst without copying so it may take me a little while!

This is reminding me how long it has been since I have had to think using ubuntu! That is a good thing maybe?!

Thank you again!
Arigato gozaimasu!
^_^

transmition
March 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Why are you doing it from the terminal? You could use a regular text editor like gedit, and then just run it as root.

sudo gedit

Or if you want to rename the file from within the file browser, like you normally would, use:

gksudo nautilus

Which will run the file browser with administrator privileges.

Mehashi
March 30th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Why are you doing it from the terminal? You could use a regular text editor like gedit, and then just run it as root.

I did just that! Thank you again!