PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no video for Real video Intrepid 8.10

bob12564
March 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I cannot get video for a Real stream using any media player. I just did a clean install of Intrepid and I followed the sticky media guide for installing video support. I get sound but no video.

I installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras and gecko-media-player which also installs MPlayer. I found an internet page with samples of all types of videos and they all seem to play OK. Quicktime streams seem to work and Flash seems to work. DIVX, wmv, mpeg2, etc. all seem to play fine. The only problem is Real.

I also installed VLC to try that and it won't play the file either. I also tried downloading the stream file and running from the desktop to avoid problems with internet connection. That didn't help. I found a command on these forums that displays the MPLayer capabilities for Real. It shows:

mplayer -vc help | grep -i real
rv3040 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 10 RV30/40 decoder [drvc.so]
rv3040win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 10 RV30/40 decoder [drvc.dll]
rv40 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drv4.so.6.0]
rv40win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drv43260.dll]
rv40mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drvc.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drvc]
rv30 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder [drv3.so.6.0]
rv30win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder [drv33260.dll]
rv30mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV30 decoder [drvc.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drvc]
rv20 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 8 RV20 decoder [drv2.so.6.0]
rv20winrp10 realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 10 RV20 decoder [drv2.dll]
rv20win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV20 decoder [drv23260.dll]
rv20mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV20 decoder [drv2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drv2]
fraps vfw working FRAPS: Realtime Video Capture [frapsvid.dll]

So it looks like I should have MPlayer codecs to play the stream/file. The video clip is RV30 as far as I can tell.

I'm still a noob at this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

SHENGTON
March 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Hello bob12564, good evening. :)

What file type(s) that you got an error when you played it in Real Player?

Take care and God bless. :)

bob12564
March 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I cannot get video for a Real stream using any media player. I just did a clean install of Intrepid and I followed the sticky media guide for installing video support. I get sound but no video.

I installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras and gecko-media-player which also installs MPlayer. I found an internet page with samples of all types of videos and they all seem to play OK. Quicktime streams seem to work and Flash seems to work. DIVX, wmv, mpeg2, etc. all seem to play fine. The only problem is Real.

I also installed VLC to try that and it won't play the file either. I also tried downloading the stream file and running from the desktop to avoid problems with internet connection. That didn't help. I found a command on these forums that displays the MPLayer capabilities for Real. It shows:

mplayer -vc help | grep -i real
rv3040 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 10 RV30/40 decoder [drvc.so]
rv3040win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 10 RV30/40 decoder [drvc.dll]
rv40 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drv4.so.6.0]
rv40win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drv43260.dll]
rv40mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV40 decoder [drvc.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drvc]
rv30 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder [drv3.so.6.0]
rv30win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder [drv33260.dll]
rv30mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV30 decoder [drvc.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drvc]
rv20 realvid working Linux RealPlayer 8 RV20 decoder [drv2.so.6.0]
rv20winrp10 realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 10 RV20 decoder [drv2.dll]
rv20win realvid working Win32 RealPlayer 8 RV20 decoder [drv23260.dll]
rv20mac realvid working Mac OS X RealPlayer 9 RV20 decoder [drv2.bundle/Contents/MacOS/drv2]
fraps vfw working FRAPS: Realtime Video Capture [frapsvid.dll]

So it looks like I should have MPlayer codecs to play the stream/file. The video clip is RV30 as far as I can tell.

I'm still a noob at this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

PhrankDaChickenGeek
March 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Could you give a link to the stream?

Looks like VLC is out of the options: http://wiki.videolan.org/RealMedia

You might try download the latest Binary codec packages for mplayer
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

bob12564
March 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Here are two Real streams:

any of the links with the movie camera icons on this page

http://www.frogs-ny.org/SightsSounds.shtml

and any of the streams here:

http://www.historicpatterson.org/Exhibits/ExhOurTown.php

Thanks.

bapoumba
March 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Merged 2 threads and deleted unanswered duplicate. Please do not multi-post on the forums, thanks.

bob12564
March 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I think I solved the problem. I went back to the sticky "how to" and executed all the commands listed rather than relying on the Ubuntu help documentation and loading things from Synaptic. I believe I was missing the codecs in the Medibuntu repository.

I'm now tacking DVD playback issues. They play in VLC but the video is poor. Playback in Gxine (per the sticky) causes the entire screen to break up and I can barely shut the system down. Rebooting didn't help. But...that's the subject of a new thread!

Thanks for all who responded.