PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] creative killed my linux

zigga15
March 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Creative has never done much for the Linux community, and I have never really complained, but now I have a reason to.

I followed NullHead's tutorial on installing the creative drivers for an XFI sound blaster Xtream Music:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571656

When I ran "sudo make install" It got stuck at "updating module dependencies". I killed off the process, did an uninstall, and rebooted my box.

Ubuntu would not load because modprobe had failed. Does anyone know how to roll back the changes I made?? Or fix this.

It is worth mentioning that when i compiled the creative source I got a few warnings (although make didn't die).

This is a massive PITA, as you can probably imagine - I am in my windows partition now which seems like one more small victory for M$.

Please help me, I have gone for about 2 years with no linux sound (except on board)...

And more importantly I really want my computer to boot linux again...

Thanks in advance,

~ Dan

zigga15
March 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Bump,

I still cant boot it up, I can run recovery mode but cannot get X...

Any ideas?

gundam1965
March 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
well, your at least 1 step ahead of me. I just installed XFI drivers and Now my linux is completely dead, no linux, no recovery. Recovery gets stuck at manual drivers.

zigga15
March 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
That sucks mate... I was lucky that my grub randomly had another version there...

This is really disappointing, I am not sure if it is my fault or creative but I know I have had to reformat about 3 times because of this.

When I get time I will go through the make file and make sure that it is doing what it is supposed to but I am flat out with other stuff at the moment. Please let me know if you make any progress on the matter. Good luck.

~ Dan

zigga15
April 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have been trying since the post with no luck. I don't particularly want to change distros.

I have come into a bit of money and I am thinking about buying an alternative sound card that supports linux - do these exist?

zigga15
April 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Bump

markbuntu
April 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Pretty much any card that is not creative is supported in linux. There is a huge incomplete list at alsa.org

Sidewinder1
April 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Can't really help with your specific problem. Mine was solved by plugging my speaker plug onto a different port on the Blaster sound card. (It was working fine in Winbloze in the initial port and, currently works fine in Winbloze in the second port) Solved everything. Spent hours with all kinds of poop and that did it! Go figure. One thing I will say, once you've got it working,... don't muck with it... Alot of folks enjoy "tweaking" ...
My current philosophy is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I know that's not your ordeal; you're trying to get it to run, in the first place. Be patient, these folks will help as best they can. Sorry I don't have more specific instructions.
HTH
Side
(Shameless Bump)

zigga15
July 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I have been too busy with University.

I have solved the problem using temudgin's (Excuse spelling) guide to installing the OSS drivers.

Moral of the story: Do no go for creative if you run unix based operating systems - I regret giving them my money.

It is silly for them to deny the linux community as it is a knish target market that always seems to be running great up to date hardware.

Massive thanks to the open source and linux communities for helping me out with this.

~ Dan

PS. Yes I know they have "Drivers" but they are useless!