PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] limewire or kazaa similar

lory
March 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Does anybody know an application to free download / share music from web for Ubuntu, similar to limewire or kazaa??

SHENGTON
March 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hello lory, good evening. :)

I currently using Frostwire. You can use as well eMule. Just search using Google "Linux P2P File Sharing" or "Ubuntu P2P File Sharing".

Take care and God bless. :)

Kewlaid
March 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hello lory, good evening. :)

I currently using Frostwire. You can use as well eMule. Just search using Google "Linux P2P File Sharing" or "Ubuntu P2P File Sharing".

A newbie here, just go onto Linux with the advice of a long term user. I am also interested but my concern would be malicious code with at least Frostwire as I have seen the results and not pretty, but would be interested in the others Emule I have heard of but not certain how non threatening it is..... I am thinking "Linux P2P File Sharing" or "Ubuntu P2P File Sharing". may be safer can anyone else advise? The only reason I am wanting more confirmation is the whole reason I started with Linux is system stability and community of course as well. Thanks and if I did not use this post in the best manner also please advise....any one at all please feel free to respond of course

cdwillis
March 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
My first instinct is that Frostwire won't hose your system unless your running it as root, but I still don't trust peer to peer software, bit torrent clients excluded.

pafufta503
March 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
try out a program called Nicotine. from there you connect to the soulseek server, where you can find 80% of anything your thinking of. just remember to set your firewall to allow Nicotine to connect.

timjohn7
March 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I strongly recommend Frostwire. It installs and runs painlessly, has great features and "just works".

SHENGTON
March 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
@Kewliad
To tell you honest when you enter in this P2P world you are already know that we cannot escape these malwares. Malwares are everywhere and make your computer unstable. But don't worry about that because when you are in Linux you don't have to worry about those malwares because Linux is free of malwares. Most malwares in P2P File Sharing are designed for Windows because it's easy to make codes and infect the system.

SuperSonic4
March 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM
My first instinct is that Frostwire won't hose your system unless your running it as root, but I still don't trust peer to peer software, bit torrent clients excluded.

I'm with you on this one. Bittorrent clients are better for everything IMO, especially since ubuntu can be downloaded via bittorrent

wolfen69
March 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
just so you know, frostwire is basically limewire. it uses the same network.