PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need new video card

chkneater
March 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I need to get a new video card, I need one capable of running Doom3 or Halo. I have a 2.8 Ghz procs, a gig of RAM, and a 64MB ATI Radeon RV100 video card. I see online ATI has a 64MB card (7000 Diamond), can this card be any better than my current one, even tho they have the same amount of RAM? What would be a good cheap card?

wolfen69
March 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM
i would highly recommend getting a card with at least 128mb of ram, or better still, 256mb. i've seen some halfway decent cards with 512ram for around $40. i don't know if youre in the US, but newegg.com is a great place to get computer equipment. they pretty much have everything. even if you don't live in the US, it's a great resource to compare products and read 1000's of reviews. i recommend an nvidia card, but that's just me. good luck.

chkneater
March 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Does Wal mart or Radio shack have decent cards? I need PCI BTW.

1BigBore
March 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Some Wal-Mart's do. I am not so sure about Radio Shack. You could try a "Best Buy" but I always feel like I got my pocket picked when I shop there. (sorry if you own or work at one, but I feel that way)
I found a Geforce 8400 for about $45 this afternoon.... at a electric parts place. It only has 250meg ram, but it works...