PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall Ubuntu & Install Vista

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I ordered this computer from Dell and it has Ubuntu as the OS.
I do not use Linux, and do not know anything about Linux and Ubuntu.
You can not use things like ITunes, Limewire without doing a lot of things.

I bought and downloaded Windows Vista.
I want to install Vista and uninstall Ubuntu.

How do you do that.
Please tell an easy way to do it, because I do not know anything about Ubuntu.

I do not know which Ubuntu that is on the computer.

Vrekk
March 29th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Well If you have the Vista istall disc then it is fairly simple. Put the disc into the computer and reboot it. It should boot from the cd, and if it dose not you might have to press F8 (differs from comp to comp) then chose your dvd drive. Vista is load some files and when you get the screen asking where you want to install you just delet all the partions (uninstalling ubuntu) and make a big one for Vista. It will take an hour or two to install but it should be self explainitory from there

SnickerSnack
March 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
You say that you downloaded Vista. Has it been burned to a cd?

If so, then all you should need to do is to put the disc in the cd drive and reboot the computer. Then follow the instructions. (This is all it takes if the computer is set to boot from the cd before the hard disk in the BIOS [this is a very low level operating system that comes with most/all computers: basic input output system].)

If that doesn't work, then you need to change the boot order. Restart your computer and watch for something like:

Press F5 to edit BIOS

or

Press F5 to enter Setup.

Do that and then use the arrow keys to move through the different options and look for "boot order." BIOSes vary, so can't say exactly how to change the order once you get there. Try moving your cursor over the first entry in the boot order. Press enter and a list should show up. Move down to "CD," or similar, and press enter. This is the way mine works.

I hope that helps.

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thank you.

I am not good with Ubuntu, it would be a good OS if I knew a lot about how to use it.

I have Vista on my computer, and this is my moms computer. She is not good on computers, so she needs something easy to use, and she knows a little about windows.
Haha.

I have not burned the files, but I ordered Vista from Microsoft, and it had 3 files to download, and one is still downloading.

The files are
install.wim
install.wim.part
boot.wim

I should just download the files the way I downloaded them to the CD?

Sealbhach
March 29th, 2009, 04:41 AM
You OK with making a CD from your download?

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
You OK with making a CD from your download?

I can make a CD, but would the CD be big enough to have the 3 files on the CD?

I just do not know if I should try to open one of the files, or just put them on the CD how they are.

happinesskills
March 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Don't you DARE install Vista.

If you want iTunes, use Banshee.
Lime wire is available for Ubuntu, but use FrostWire. it's better.

Pretty much, if there's a program you need. There will be either a Linux version of it, or an equal or better alternative, just look around.

DON'T YOU DARE INSTALL VISTA!!

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Don't you DARE install Vista.

If you want iTunes, use Banshee.
Lime wire is available for Ubuntu, but use FrostWire. it's better.

Pretty much, if there's a program you need. There will be either a Linux version of it, or an equal or better alternative, just look around.

DON'T YOU DARE INSTALL VISTA!!

Haha.
My mom can not use Ubuntu.
She calls me a lot to just get her e-mail to do something.
Her e-mail is not getting mail on the Evolution Mail that is on the computer.

I did download Limewire on the computer, and Banshee, but do not know what to do with Banshee.

But just to install Banshee, there were a lot of things to do. It is not like windows. You just download, and run the install and use the program.

combatwombat_nz
March 29th, 2009, 05:00 AM
At the risk of being called a heretic, Ubuntu is not best for the casual PC user over 60. But Linux Mint is. It has everything you need already set up. Thunderbird for email, firefox, flash player, codecs, etc.

Anyhow, if you want to pay the piper, and install Vista, then who are we to say no?

Check out what you do with WIm files:
http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0702.htm

NOT for the faint-of-heart! You will need to get those files via a DVD/thumbdrive onto another windows PC to do anything with them using MS's own tools.

You really are best loading any operating system from CD/DVD unless you know what you are doing.

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 05:05 AM
At the risk of being called a heretic, Ubuntu is not best for the casual PC user over 60. But Linux Mint is. It has everything you need already set up. Thunderbird for email, firefox, flash player, codecs, etc.

Anyhow, if you want to pay the piper, and install Vista, then who are we to say no?

Check out what you do with WIm files:
http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0702.htm

NOT for the faint-of-heart! You will need to get those files via a DVD/thumbdrive onto another windows PC to do anything with them using MS's own tools.

You really are best loading any operating system from CD/DVD unless you know what you are doing.

Ok, I do not know what all that means.

combatwombat_nz
March 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
So you will need to get the DVD directly from MS, or get your money back, go to a computer store, and buy it off the shelf.

Without a LOT of technical mumbo jumbo you will not get anything useful out of having WIM files on your Ubuntu system.

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What if I have another computer that is using Vista?

What do I put the files on a DVD or CD?

SnickerSnack
March 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'd agree with CombatWombat that you should see about getting the installer in a different form. The link he gave sounds to me like what you have is intended for someone who is going to install vista on dozens of computers.

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'd agree with CombatWombat that you should see about getting the installer in a different form. The link he gave sounds to me like what you have is intended for someone who is going to install vista on dozens of computers.

Thank you.

Microsoft is sending a DVD

With the DVD, you can just put the DVD in the computer and it installs?

Jayce.
March 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi there im a new linux user and trust me it isnt very hard or different to use from windows. i have never used and other kind of operating system in my days other than windows. from installing unbuntu i have to say its great it is easy to use. limewire and that do work linux has support for ipod(gtkipod) and if you still want vista restarting you computer with your vista disc insterted press either ESC or f8 to and choose booting options and select your assigned disc drive

hope this helps

perlluver
March 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you.

It has to boot from the DVD, usually F8 or F9, sometimes f12, when the computer first turns on, during the bios check, make sure it loads from the DVD, then choose the install option on the DVD.

Sealbhach
March 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
But just to install Banshee, there were a lot of things to do. It is not like windows. You just download, and run the install and use the program.

Hey Aimee, I think you must have missed something there. If you go to Applications menu, choose Add/Remove, search for Banshee, click on Banshee, apply changes, you're done.

Most things are easily installed in Ubuntu, much easier than Windows even.

SnickerSnack
March 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thank you.

No problemo.

Yes. But, as has been described a couple of times, you may need to change the boot order. A new computer should already be set to boot form the cd/dvd first, but you may need to do it yourself. If there are two cd/dvd drives, then just pick one and try installing from both physical drives.

AImeeStinson
March 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hi there im a new linux user and trust me it isnt very hard or different to use from windows. i have never used and other kind of operating system in my days other than windows. from installing unbuntu i have to say its great it is easy to use. limewire and that do work linux has support for ipod(gtkipod) and if you still want vista restarting you computer with your vista disc insterted press either ESC or f8 to and choose booting options and select your assigned disc drive

hope this helps

I like Windows, and when I am at her computer, I like the Ubuntu, but her e-mail does not get e-mails, and I have to go to her house and do things to get her e-mail to work, because Evolution does not accept her ISP E-Mail passwrd.

Ubuntu is on my moms computer, and No, she does not like Linux. She does not get on a computer, and she is use to Windows, and Ubuntu is not a good OS for her.

You all are on a computer a lot, and know a lot about computers, and she does not. She doesn't even know what the Start Menu is if I ask her, etc.

She has to have her computer, that she paid a lot of money for to be how she is use to, and that is Windows.

Thank you for telling me what you like, but you are not her.
Haha.

leandromartinez98
March 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Take her computer to a technician in oder that he/she installs Vista for you. If you are having problems configuring evolution to read the e-mails, probably you will have the same problems with Vista, given that it is essentially the same. Also there are probably some drivers and programs you will need to install so that the computer is at your mom's taste, and at least searching for each of them may be very tedius.