PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Ubuntu 8.10 from external hard drive

Eycks
March 29th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I have a laptop computer running XP. I have created and used a usb flash drive to boot and run. 8.10 comes up and runs. What I would like to know is could I use an external usb hard drive with 8.10 installed on it without accidentally changing the laptops hard drive and will a usb hard drive run fast enough for regular work, not first person shooter games?

pytheas22
March 29th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Yes, you can run Ubuntu from a USB drive without touching the internal hard drive of the laptop. The only way to modify the internal drive would be to mount it and make changes explicitly--Ubuntu won't touch it unless you direct it to do so.

Ubuntu running from a USB drive won't be quite as fast as a hard drive, but it should still definitely be usable. Also keep in mind that flash drives have shorter lifespans (in that you can only write data to them a certain number of times before they stop working), but for normal use this shouldn't really be a problem.

haiku88
March 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
yes, easy to do and there are some good web pages on it...the trick is to remove or disconnect the internal hard drive so there is no chance of it being modified during installation, did this myself and all went well see http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-804-usb-hard-drive-install/#more-372 for example