PDA

View Full Version : 2D animation and Wacom

NerdcoreSteve
March 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I am using a cool 2D animation program called Pencil (http://www.pencil-animation.org/) with my Wacom tablet. The pencil tool is pressure sensitive but the eraser tool is not. I've not got much luck with their forums so I thought I might ask here. Is there anything wrong with this xorg file? It works just fine with GIMP.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY?
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on" # USB ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "pad"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY
Option "Type" "pad"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents" # For non-LCD tablets only
EndSection

Favux
March 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi NerdcoreSteve,

You didn't say what kind of tablet you have. If you do not have an external Wacom mouse for it I don't think you need the "cursor" section or its entry in "ServerLayout". And if the tablet has "pad" then you need to put it in "ServerLayout". I think its:

InputDevice "pad"
In Gimp my eraser gives me a "pressure" effect depending on how hard I press it. Is that what you're talking about?

I hope this is helpful.

NerdcoreSteve
March 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Yes That's the kind of pressure I'm talking about and I am using an intuous.

Favux
March 29th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hi NerdcoreSteve,

What's your stylus pressure sensitivity curve look like in /home/username/.xinitrc? The .xinitrc (hidden file) should have been generated after running wacomcpl. Since the stylus and eraser have the same input path and coordinates I assume the pressure curve for stylus is what I see with eraser in Gimp. Do you see "pressure" in Gimp? Maybe Pencil just doesn't offer that?

Favux
April 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi NerdcoreSteve,

I went ahead and installed Pencil. I can get pressure with my stylus, more obvious with the paint brush. It sort of works for the eraser. But rather than the feathering I think you want what I see is light pressure equals a narrow "line" erased and the harder I press the wider it gets up to where eraser is set.

It didn't behave like this when I started it. I just fooled around (no tutorial read) and I think it was going to Edit>Preferences>General where I enabled one of the gradients.

Since I was fooling around, don't take this as gospel. The point is that it does recognize pressure.