PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] My desktop icons keep disappearing.

chris_andrew
March 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I've just done a new install of Xubuntu. Everything is fine except my desktop icons keep disappearing.

It seems that I can get them back by going to

Settings > Settings Manager > Desktop

and selecting

Allow xfce to manage the desktop

For some reason though, this change isn't persistent, and moments later my icons disappear again.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Chris.

wannjanjic
March 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
It looks like you're having problem with xfdesktop. Try running it from terminal and watch for the output when icons disappear.

DaanVB
April 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have a similar problem. Every time I boot up and when I change the widget theme to a GTK theme, the desktop is managed by gnome instead of xfce. I need to do the above to get the xfce desktop back everytime. There seem to be a lot of people who have problems with their desktop "disappearing" on xfce. Maybe it's all the same problem? I have no idea how to permanently fix it though.

chessnerd
April 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I had a similar problem when I first tried to use the Nautilus file manager under Xubuntu. When I input the command it changed the desktop to Gnome. I had to run the command as Nautilus --no-desktop and then it didn't change to Gnome anymore. I don't know if you might be able to change your command using the same or a similar parameter, but you could try it.