PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hi all - New Here Looking for help/advise

NidgieWidgie
March 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hello 2u all :)

I have tried, unsuccessfully, several times to install Ubuntu alongside my Windows XP installation. I would like to try it before I change to it full time.

The first few times I have installed it I have used the downloaded file from Ubuntu and used Wubi. This way has always left me with a command prompt and no idea of "what I should do?".

Over the last few days I have finally got it working by "booting it from the CD". I thought that "seeing as that worked, I would again try installing it along side my Windows". Again a command prompt...

My first thoughts were that I may have a hardware conflict, but seeing as it booted from the CD (in memory), I thought "maybe not?"

Here is a photo I have uploaded of the command prompt that I am getting and would like to ask any of you for any help/advise please as I am totally new to all this and haven't got a clue really about something that is probobally straight forward?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/lynnig/DSC01056.jpg

I am using Ubuntu v8.10. ThanX in Advance ;)

kanikilu
March 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I've never seen that problem myself, but a quick search turned up this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=987243

See if the suggestion in there helps at all...

sigurnjak
March 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hi there !
First , there could be many reasons for your troubles so i can tell you few things that worked for me .
Did you set your bios to factory defaults . Funky bios settings can do all kinds of strange things .
I still use Hardy . Intrepid is little too touchy for me . When first starting with new OS go with most stable one .
Did you make room for Ubuntu on your HD . Sometimes i had to use 3rd party partitioning tools to make room for Ubuntu .

I hope this gets you going .
If not come back and do not give up , there are lots very knowledgeable folks here willing to help !
Good luck !

NidgieWidgie
March 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

@sigurnjak - I have, in the past, reset my BIOS to default - But not here. I have Heron v8.04 on a disc - I thought that the newer version might have better hardware issues fixed? I believe the outcome with Hardy was the same as this with the command prompt & errors. I installed onto C: drive with an 8GB partition (through the install disc). It has made a folder on C: called 'Ubuntu' that is 8.04GB. There was 18GB free before on C: - Do you think that making a partition (with software) for the Ubuntu install would work better?

@ kanikilu - That looks VERY similar to my error and I am going to have a try at that? I am preparing a notepad to print with suggestions first.

;)

sigurnjak
March 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Installing into a folder would be in wubi , i assume ,therefore it is just a folder in windows . I would suggest finding safe way to shrink your xp partition and make empty space for ubuntu . I do not remember if xp utility would alow that . I am always paranoid about loosing my existing OS .
Maybe getting a spare HD would be safer option. My xp is on separate drive all together and ubuntu is split in root + swap + home partitions so i can change my os with no worries .
PS . If you installed in wubi that would be i think sort of virtual partition .

Ms_Angel_D
March 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
If you need help on dual booting with a partition here's a step by step walk through with screenshots

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm

NidgieWidgie
March 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
OK an update...(and my first Ubuntu post ever!!! yey)

I have finally got Ubuntu to work with the "rootdelay=130" method posted here. I have updated the software and also installed an ATI driver for my graphics card.

I got an update for Firefox but couldn't work out how to install it? I tried double clicking as with Windows and this opened "Archive Manager", so I cancelled. Anyway I now have FF3.08 but it is continually asking for restarts on a yellow bar at the top? Not sure about that???

Also I am also noticing that I need to enter the 'rootdelay=130' edit everytime I startup. Is this normal? I thought that it would 'save' and I would be able to boot normally after the edit?

I am really excited about all this and am looking forward to the 'new world'! Windows time is running out for me!

One last thing :- Are AV/Firewall software needed on Ubuntu? I had Comodo + Avast (both FREE) on Windows? I also used SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D.

Again all help/advise is much appreciated ;) & ThanQ.

hyper_ch
March 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
It is advised to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you ;)

See the forums policy, especially section II.2: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

Also, when you are asked to post output from (config) files or from a command, use
brackets around (each) output. That makes it also easier to read.

NidgieWidgie
March 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
@ hyper_ch - So make like 10 threads when 1 would do? I can see your point (if ur a moderator?) but was just asking for help/advise from the people who had answered me previously on issues that they had previously been helpfull on?!?!

Sorry :)

sigurnjak
March 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
With ubuntu you will have to leave many of your ways behind !:P
Here is express way to get you going :
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download3.html

Once you are done you will have much better picture how things work .
I wish someone did same for me 2 years ago !:P

NidgieWidgie
March 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM
OK thanq all for your help - See you in another thread somewhere. This thread can be "solved" if a mod is needed to do it? I can't find a solved button anywhere. ;)