PDA

View Full Version : Reactos - wine alternative?

ilikecheese
March 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hello everybody

I've been running ubuntu on a dual boot for about three years now and have gained a wealth of info from this forum in the past. I very rarely use windows anymore, however there are times when i'm forced to use it due to some incompatability issues with WINE.

So heres my question. Has anybody tried Reactos?

I discovered this os today and was curious if its worth trying?

I would use it with Virtual box, if possible, for those times that i need to run windows software. Its currently in the alpha stage, but no matter as i said earlier i rarely use windows now.

http://www.reactos.org

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Mulenmar
March 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I tried it about a year ago -- the CD wouldn't even boot, and I recorded it at 1x, no errors.

It might be better now, but I'm not sure. Why reinvent the triangular wheel, is what I want to know -- even if they share code into Wine in the process.

Performance of running ReactOS in a VM is probably a lot less than running Wine in Linux, too.

smartboyathome
March 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hello everybody

I've been running ubuntu on a dual boot for about three years now and have gained a wealth of info from this forum in the past. I very rarely use windows anymore, however there are times when i'm forced to use it due to some incompatability issues with WINE.

So heres my question. Has anybody tried Reactos?

I discovered this os today and was curious if its worth trying?

I would use it with Virtual box, if possible, for those times that i need to run windows software. Its currently in the alpha stage, but no matter as i said earlier i rarely use windows now.

http://www.reactos.org

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

It isn't worth it yet. It barely runs without crashing. I would say Wine is just better at the moment.

perlluver
March 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
From what I have heard here, it is still in alpha or beta stage, and is pretty buggy. Blue screens and what not. I don't know if they have done any work lately, but at last check they were stalled.

hikaricore
March 27th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Same here never got the damn cd to boot.

ilikecheese
March 27th, 2009, 11:53 PM
thanks for the quick responses.

from the looks of things so far it appears that i should stick with what im currently doing, unless i hear otherwise.

alex.rayu
March 28th, 2009, 12:34 AM
No future for React OS. For all reasons, use Ubuntu with Wine. Where do you think ReactOS takes code to imitate Windows binaries? You think they write it on their own, another huge project like Wine? They draw upon Wine and such. They incorporate in into their OS. But even this way, it's a long way to go fulfilling it's goal to reach the level of XP, and it's two steps behind already! At the same time, Ubuntu is an advanced OS, that runs Wine increasingly well. There is no way that ReactOS can do anything to be useful. They are reactionary - trying to imitate something which is now two generations old. So don't waste your time and stick with whats best.

biji
March 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
yup.. wine is still better

cogadh
March 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
No future for React OS. For all reasons, use Ubuntu with Wine. Where do you think ReactOS takes code to imitate Windows binaries? You think they write it on their own, another huge project like Wine? They draw upon Wine and such. They incorporate in into their OS. But even this way, it's a long way to go fulfilling it's goal to reach the level of XP, and it's two steps behind already! At the same time, Ubuntu is an advanced OS, that runs Wine increasingly well. There is no way that ReactOS can do anything to be useful. They are reactionary - trying to imitate something which is now two generations old. So don't waste your time and stick with whats best.

ReactOS is being developed using "clean room design" reverse engineering practices, not just relying on the leavings of the Wine project. They are actually coding a large portion of their OS themselves, so it really is another huge project like Wine, though I would guess Wine is actually much larger. As for the usefulness of the project, that really remains to be seen, since they haven't released a usable product yet. It really doesn't matter that what they are imitating is two generations old, when you consider that what they are imitating is still used by almost 70% of the PCs currently in use worldwide and there is no reason that ReactOS can't continue to develop beyond simple imitation of Windows XP.

However, all this is really moot for now, since as I said, they really haven't released a usable product... yet.