PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot play wav files ???

deb2006
March 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
In Intrepid I seem to be unable to play and listen to wav files. aplay gives the error message:

aplay: set_params:954: Sample format non available

And totem has:

GStreamer encountered a general stream error.

Anyone?

jordilin
March 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
pretty strange, as I can listen to wav files. Could you open a terminal and type:

file filename.wav
and show the output.

elliotn
March 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ja strage as I too can play wav without hustle

deb2006
March 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
pretty strange, as I can listen to wav files. Could you open a terminal and type:

file filename.wav
and show the output.

03 - Audience.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 24 bit, mono 22050 Hz

Hm ---- I also cannot play CDs therefore (well, naturally I cannot play them, since they display as wav files ...)

deb2006
March 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
In Intrepid I seem to be unable to play and listen to wav files. aplay gives the error message:

aplay: set_params:954: Sample format non available

And totem has:

GStreamer encountered a general stream error.

Anyone?

Ok, apparently I have tried to rip them from a CD with sound-juicer - and sound juicer seems to be broken. When I copy a file directly to my Desktop it plays with aplay. Totem seems still to be unable to play that wav file - it only shows "0:00 (Streaming)" in the lower left corner.

jo4hnc
March 28th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Try going to Applications>Add/Remove. Look for the GStreamer plugins for mms, wavpack, quicktime, musepack. I'm pretty sure this might solve the problem. If not check out the other Gstreamer plug in packs in Add/Remove or Synaptic to see if there's something there that might resolve your issue.

Stochastic
March 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Moved to Multimedia & Video

bimmermz3
March 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
i'm having a similar problem. i can play the cd, but i cannot copy or even try to convert to mp3 with "sound converter". it shows in the prog. but it will not let me select it. i have downloaded the GStreamer packages....any more suggestions?

jo4hnc
March 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Have you tried Audio CD Extractor? If you don't already have it in your Sound and Media Application menu, you can get it by going to ADD/REMOVE. You can set the file type you want to convert the music to in preferences.

logos34
March 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
i'm having a similar problem. i can play the cd, but i cannot copy or even try to convert to mp3 with "sound converter". it shows in the prog. but it will not let me select it. i have downloaded the GStreamer packages....any more suggestions?

If you use Sound Juicer (aka 'audio-cd extractor'), be sure to get the -bad and -ugly suggested pkgs as well (->mp3 support)

sudo apt-get install sound-juicer ubuntu-restricted-extras eject

jo4hnc
March 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
If you use Sound Juicer (aka 'audio-cd extractor'), be sure to get the -bad and -ugly suggested pkgs as well (->mp3 support)

My bad! Forgot to mention that.

bimmermz3
March 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM
thanks alot guys! i set it up to save as a .m4a type. everything works great. i was being a noob and was looking for sound-juicer and with your help i went for the audio extractor.
thank you again

jo4hnc
March 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Enjoy!