PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with making a media pc w/ ubuntu (brainstorm)

shateredsoul
March 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Any advice for building a media center? I just bought a hp media center pc 873n for pretty cheap as a way to experiment. I just would have some ideas ready fo when it arrives.

I have a few things for it in mind. Mainly boxeee for online tv, wah!cade for some games (mame, nes, snes, gameboy, cave story, winmugen) any other ideas of things to add?

And I just found something suggesting that I use Mythbuntu. Would that work better than ubuntu? I just want to make sure I can install boxee and wah!cade (emulators)

I'm also considering whether it would be best to wait for the new release of ubuntu so I can have an ext4 file system, or wait 2 months after that for the newest release of Mythbuntu.

Suggestions? Ideas? Feedback?

I am considering documenting this process for people who are completely unfamiliar with ubuntu and who would be interested in doing the same with an older pc.

chrisinspace
March 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I would definitely go with Mythbuntu. It is basically Xubuntu (Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop) with the MythTV packages rolled in and preconfigured. This makes setup so much easier and if you don't end up liking MythTV, you can always uninstall the packages and you are back to basic Xubuntu. Don't like XFCE? Just install the packages for Gnome or KDE instead. That's the great thing about a linux-based HTPC...the configuration options a basically limitless and easily adaptable to your taste.

As to which version you choose, that depends on how long you want to wait to get started. The last time I installed Mythbuntu, the whole setup only took a couple hours and most of that was spent watching TV while I waited for packages to download and install. So, I don't mind doing it again in a couple of months when I'm ready for ext4.

shateredsoul
March 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Okay I'm a bit confused, so does Mythbuntu have it's own OS and graphic interface? Or is it just Xubuntu with all the necessary software installed?

So if I wanted to stick with the Ubuntu interface what would be the fastest route?

1. Install Mythbuntu, then install gnome ? ( Is this possible? I'm imagining this way, I keep all the features of MythTV but will have the ubuntu features you normally get)

or

2. Install Ubuntu, then install Myth TV and reconfigure

Also that's true, I can always reinstall.. have you had a good experience with mythbuntu? Is it easy to use for everyone?

I would definitely go with Mythbuntu. It is basically Xubuntu (Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop) with the MythTV packages rolled in and preconfigured. This makes setup so much easier and if you don't end up liking MythTV, you can always uninstall the packages and you are back to basic Xubuntu. Don't like XFCE? Just install the packages for Gnome or KDE instead. That's the great thing about a linux-based HTPC...the configuration options a basically limitless and easily adaptable to your taste.

As to which version you choose, that depends on how long you want to wait to get started. The last time I installed Mythbuntu, the whole setup only took a couple hours and most of that was spent watching TV while I waited for packages to download and install. So, I don't mind doing it again in a couple of months when I'm ready for ext4.

chrisinspace
March 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
... is it just Xubuntu with all the necessary software installed?

So if I wanted to stick with the Ubuntu interface what would be the fastest route?

1. Install Mythbuntu, then install gnome ? ( Is this possible? I'm imagining this way, I keep all the features of MythTV but will have the ubuntu features you normally get)

It is basically Xubuntu with MythTV preinstalled. Option 1 is by far the easiest approach. Just install the Gnome desktop packages and then after that when you log in you can change the session settings and choose Gnome instead of XFCE. This is much easier than trying to install MythTV in Ubuntu from my personal experience. With Mythbuntu, MythTV pretty much works out of the box, but if you try to install MythTV on Ubuntu, there is a bit of configuration that you'll have to do to get it to work.

I have had pretty good experiences with MythTV so far. Once you get everything set up the way you like it, the interface is very intuitive. My wife and daughter use it all the time to watch movies and play music. I don't really use the actual TV capabilities. I can stream most of the programming I want over from Hulu, etc.

shateredsoul
March 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Cool that sounds great! Thank you for the help. I'll definitely try option 1, hopefully it works out well. Would you happen to know of any good how to install gnome guides by any chance? So far I have only had experience with the add/remove features and self install packages.

Okay I'm a bit confused, so does Mythbuntu have it's own OS and graphic interface? Or is it just Xubuntu with all the necessary software installed?

or

2. Install Ubuntu, then install Myth TV and reconfigure

Also that's true, I can always reinstall.. have you had a good experience with mythbuntu? Is it easy to use for everyone?

shateredsoul
March 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
before installing mythbuntu.. I do have a question. Is myth tv automatically set up to run on start on the startup?

anyone know this?

The Pinny Parlour
March 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM
before installing mythbuntu.. I do have a question. Is myth tv automatically set up to run on start on the startup?

anyone know this?

It runs automatically at startup.

krstofer
June 8th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd tack on.

Would I be able to stream to my xbox with the mythbuntu setup?

Mrazek
September 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
As I saw in other threads there is a special Mythbuntu frontend compilation for Xbox. So, the answer is yes. Try to search on mythbuntu site and forums, I hope you'll find all info needed.