PDA

View Full Version : I may be moving to Hoary very soon....

jdong
January 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I want to announce that I will be migrating my primary desktop over to Hoary within the next week. It's been wonderful with Warty, but now, I'd like to help beta-test Hoary before it's too late.

I'll still build Warty backports -- I have two chroot Warty environments to do my building in! I just won't test them as much. I'm counting on you guys to test all of my new backports.

wallijonn
January 13th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Why not run both? Either in a dual boot, separate discs or caddies?

jdong
January 13th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I'm operating off a 40GB hard drive. Barely enough leg room for one OS.

alpha
January 14th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I'm operating off a 40GB hard drive. Barely enough leg room for one OS.

Get a bigger hard drive. ;)

jdong
January 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Other than for backports, I have no need for a bigger hard drive.

Not to mention I'm broke right now... Unless $3.77 will buy a hard drive...

panickedthumb
January 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I'm going through all the old hard drives that I got from the trash at work last summer (yes, they said it was ok), in hopes that I could fix at least one of them, but no. If I had, I'm sure the 3.77 would have paid for shipping ;)

wallijonn
January 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
So you missed out on that BestBuy deal where the WD80JBB drives were going for $25 after rebate, or the CompUSA Maxtor 60GB drives were going for $22 out the door?

I've been into computers so long that I'm now down to only 5 disc drives, a 30, two 40s, two 120s. I've been tempted to pcik up another 120 for $50 but I end up thinking twice and I keep trying to convince myself to get a Raptor 74B. I'd probably copy WXP over and just use it for gaming.

Before I redid my 30G I had W98SE and Warty on it. Now it's all Warty.

Perhaps it time to upgrade a little. Bestuy had WD120JBBs for $50 after rebate. CompUSA has the Maxtor OEMs for the same price, but no rebate necessary, which is fine if you have an AMD mobo that can do ATA133.

jdong
January 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Perhaps it time to upgrade a little. Bestuy had WD120JBBs for $50 after rebate. CompUSA has the Maxtor OEMs for the same price, but no rebate necessary, which is fine if you have an AMD mobo that can do ATA133.

I got three BF WD120's for 30 after rebate. However, those are for my (Windows) microcontroller lab... and I'm close to filling all 3 up, too.