PDA

View Full Version : eve online not working with wine 1.1.17

akinginmyownmind
March 27th, 2009, 04:15 AM
im kinda new to linux/ubuntu and this is the only real issue ive faced so far. basically i start the game and it shows the splash, but then instead of loading the game its a black screen. it worked fine on windows xp, so im guessing its not a hardware issue.

hikaricore
March 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Tell us more about your system. Specifically video hardware and what driver you're using.
Just because it works in ***dows doesn't mean it will work on Linux.

Run it from a terminal and post any output.

akinginmyownmind
March 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM
ok its pretty low spec. pentium III 933mhz, 1024mb ram, 128mb geforce 5200. driver is 173 version.

Toffeeapple
March 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
ok its pretty low spec. pentium III 933mhz, 1024mb ram, 128mb geforce 5200. driver is 173 version.

HI,

Your computer only just makes minimum spec (http://support.eve-online.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=124) for it to run on an XP machine, I'd hazard a guess that your graphics card isn't up to scratch, or your CPU is wheezing away trying to keep up and failing to : )

It does work with 1.1.17 though, or at least it does on my system as seen in sig below, quite nicely too, not that that helps you of course but it does make me feel better, at least it helps me justify having blown a months food money on a graphic card anyway : )

Agent ME
March 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Eve Online has a linux version, but just doesn't support the premium graphics patch and maybe some other features for the linux version.

MadCatmkII
March 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
No, Eve does NOT have a linux version. There used to be a version wrapped up with a extra-borked version of cedega, but since it had more problems than simply running the windows version under Wine nobody used it. So CCP discontinued it, shrugging their shoulders saying "nobody wants to play games on linux, it seems".

Toffeeapple
March 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
There is only one version now as well, as in only the premium graphics version. : )

GregTheGerg
April 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
How bout we switch it up a little, is there an open source alternative to it?

Preferably one WITHOUT a subscription fee.

Thanks in advance! ^_^