PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which music player will transfer playlists to a USB Mass Storage type player?

dartmusic
March 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I've tried Rhythmbox, Banshee and Amarok (all are supposed to have USB Mass Storage capabilities), yet I end up with the same issue with each of these players. The songs named in the playlist will transfer, but the m3u file will not. If I export the playlist to my player, the paths are not correct, they show the path for the song files on my Ubuntu box...obviously this does me no good.

Any ideas? And, just for the curious, I'm using a G1 phone, though it should make no difference. And, and, even though Banshee is promoted as being compatible with the G1, it is not.

Thanks.:confused:

khelben1979
March 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
You know you can just copy the files you want to the usb mass storage unit without playlists, right? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

dartmusic
March 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yes, I'm aware of this. What I want to do is to transfer playlists...the songs and the playlist file that refers to those song files. This is standard functionality than can be done in a few different Windows programs, but not one Linux program seems to be able to do this. Even Banshee, who claims to be able to. They admit that this advertised function doesn't work.

twelve17
April 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Dartmusic, I have the exact gripe you do!

I recently got a HTC G1 phone, which acts as a USB mass device when plugged in.

It's not sufficient to just copy the files over, because the ordering of the playlist does not always match the order of the file/directory structure.

Very annoying!

The closest thing I have found is this script for amarok 1.4:

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/copyplaylist2+(amaroK+script)?content=22037&PHPSESSID=08810d68f9435341f7a9875bee78b67e

Update: my mistake, I was thinking of something else with that link. I just tried it and I still don't see a way to copy the playlist!

Let me know if you find anything!