March 26th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Does someone knows if there is a Cylon Tux avatar somewhere? :mrgreen:

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Like this?

http://striderlance.com/repository/images/stux.png

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Not exactly. I was thinking about a Crystal version, like the Darth Vader Tux.

Thanks anyway. This one is already pretty nice. I wish I could draw.

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Only for you.

http://striderlance.com/repository/images/stux2.png

s.fox
March 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Thats awesome! Did you do it?

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I did it, but it's not as awesome as the original tux series. Mine was done fast, the larger images show slappy shadows and highlights =)

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Only for you.

http://striderlance.com/repository/images/stux2.png

That's frakking awesome. Thank you very much!

I which I could be creative and skilled like you.

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Would be too much to ask for the original file? I won't publish on the net, I promise.

Edit: you should upload it to CrystalXP site. It will be a huge success.

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sure. It's a Photoshop (PSD) file though. How can I get it to you? I can open it for everyone or send it just to you - whatever you say.

I have recently watched the last episode of the series. It was a good end. I also made a wallpaper.

Ubuntu - an operating system for all the humans.

http://striderlance.com/repository/images/cylon-wp-thmb.jpg (http://striderlance.com/repository/images/cylon-wp.jpg)

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Sure. It's a Photoshop (PSD) file though. How can I get it to you? I can open it for everyone or send it just to you - whatever you say.

That's really frakking awesome :popcorn:

You can post the link, attach the file on the thread or send the file by e-mail. I will send my address by PM. Whichever works best for you.

I have recently watched the last episode of the series. It was a good end.

I saw a lot of complains the BSG forum, but I guess is not easy to please everyone. Anyways, it was the best series ever. Let's wait for "The Plan" movie and the "Caprica" series next year.

I also made a wallpaper (cylon image if from internet).

Ubuntu - an operating system for all the humans.

http://striderlance.com/repository/images/cylon-wp-thmb.jpg (http://striderlance.com/repository/images/cylon-wp.jpg)

Cool.

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I have a suggestion for a cool wallpaper tag line:

"Don't struggle against an OS that rebels against you. Install Ubuntu and live in peace!"

My English is not that good, but you get the idea.

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Let's wait for "The Plan" movie and the "Caprica" series next year.

Thats good news!

alex.rayu
March 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
My English is not that good, but you get the idea.

Oh yeah, you are located at Kobol. Just noticed. It's not on the Starfleet maps =)

lovinglinux
March 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thats good news!

Yeah. Caprica pilot will be released on DVD in April this year.

Caprica is an upcoming television series set in the fictional Battlestar Galactica universe. Set over 50 years before the events seen in Battlestar Galactica, Caprica will tell the story of how humanity first created the robotic Cylons, who would later plot to destroy human civilization.

An extended version of the pilot will have its world premiere exclusively on DVD on April 21, 2009.[1] In early 2010, the first season, composed of the two-hour pilot and 18 hour-long episodes, is expected to begin airing on the Sci Fi Channel in the United States.[2][3] The rights to broadcast the series have also been picked up by Sky1 in the UK and Ireland.[4]

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is a television film set in the reimagined version of the Battlestar Galactica fictional universe. It is a show consisting of newly filmed material and compilation of clips from the TV show and mini-series. The show reveals the "plan" under which the Cylons are operating. The film will air in fall 2009.[1]

Oh yeah, you are located at Kobol. Just noticed. It's not on the Starfleet maps =)

Yep. I just changed it :)

Ben Crisford
March 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Wow alex your artwork is ruddy awesome :o! How do you do the reflection thing, it has puzzled me for long time :(. Many cups of coffee have been wasted on that problem...

alex.rayu
March 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Reflections are vector elements, mostly circular, that are either lighter color, or a white and semitransparent. On a Tux logo that can be found on the internet in SVG format, there are mighty many sub-elements just to do the reflections. In clylon tux picture, the reflections are pretty general. But even this way, they take 3/4 of all vector data.

Ben Crisford
March 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Reflections are vector elements, mostly circular, that are either lighter color, or a white and semitransparent. On a Tux logo that can be found on the internet in SVG format, there are mighty many sub-elements just to do the reflections. In clylon tux picture, the reflections are pretty general. But even this way, they take 3/4 of all vector data.

Say wha..?

Lol :p, soz but I didn't understand a word of that. I'm a bit of a graphics noob you see :p.

Sorry...

Can you translate it into noob please :p :).

alex.rayu
March 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Such images are made in vector editors. Like inkscape. Vector editors draw with shapes and geometric figures (roughly speaking). So, lights and shades are geometric figures. Lights are lighter figures, shades are darker figures. They are placed on top of image and it looks like shades or lights. Can't explain simpler - there are tons of tutorials. If you want to learn how to draw, you will find lots of resources to guide you.

sloggerkhan
March 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Do you have a wallpaper version without the text?
Really cool work.!!

alex.rayu
March 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I was surprised that I do.
TIP: to make a larger wallpaper out of it, don't resize it. Make a larger black canvas and just put it in the middle. It should blend in.

Ben Crisford
March 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Such images are made in vector editors. Like inkscape. Vector editors draw with shapes and geometric figures (roughly speaking). So, lights and shades are geometric figures. Lights are lighter figures, shades are darker figures. They are placed on top of image and it looks like shades or lights. Can't explain simpler - there are tons of tutorials. If you want to learn how to draw, you will find lots of resources to guide you.

Cheers :).

p.s. Sorry again I didn't understand first time round...

alex.rayu
March 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Sorry again I didn't understand first time round...

I am not native English speaker, so my capabilities are limited :)

Ben Crisford
March 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I am not native English speaker, so my capabilities are limited :)

Ah, but it wasn't your fault. I'm sure most people could've understood it, but like I say, I am still a total noob :p.

s.fox
March 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
That wallpaper is really really good. Great job.

avaralom
March 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hah, I love the avatar (and the wallpaper)! Great job :)