PDA

View Full Version : Help I deleted a panel and can't get it back ! :s

Ben Crisford
March 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Stupidly just now, I was playing about with my appearance and I deleted the bottom panel, which means whenever I minimise anything i cant get it back, even after half an hour and several cups of coffee.

Here is my desktop now:

s.fox
March 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Right click on the top panel. I think there is an option called 'Add New Panel' -> 'External Taskbar' or something like that.

Or just select 'Add New Panel' then on that new panel right click and select 'Add Applet to Panel' and then select which ever you want like tasklist/windows list, desktop icon, trash icon etc...

I would check myself but I am using OSX at the moment .

UbuntuNerd
March 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
use this command in a terminal to restore your panels to default:

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

Ben Crisford
March 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
It worked, but it deleted all my shortcuts :(.

Nevermind though, because I can put them back in seconds, so cheers loads ubuntunerd :D:D:D.

@Ash R, there is no add new panel that I could see, but there was an add to toolbar button which was as good as, so if I found no solution I could have put my window navigation on the top toolbar so thanks :D.

s.fox
March 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Glad you got it sorted. Remembering stuff like that is hard :lolflag:

Chemical Imbalance
March 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Nevermind though, because I can put them back in seconds, so cheers loads ubuntunerd :D:D:D.

@Ash R, there is no add new panel that I could see, but there was an add to toolbar button which was as good as, so if I found no solution I could have put my window navigation on the top toolbar so thanks :D.

Its called "New Panel"

UbuntuNerd
March 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I should have told you that you would have to add all your shortcuts back, but like you said you can add them back in a second.

badmedic
March 26th, 2009, 02:57 AM
You could also just add "Window List" and whatever other gnome applets you want to the top panel and live without a bottom panel... It frees up a little more desktop real-estate. :)

smartboyathome
March 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Another tip, use Alt+Tab, it switches between windows. :)