PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft issue

Rockstajim
March 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Well, I'm gonna start off with a little story of what I have ever done since I just installed Ubuntu.

I was looking up videos of Linux Ubuntu and seeing how fast it is, and it looks like to me it runs a wee-bit faster than XP and has a very good performance. So, what I have done is installed Ubuntu from Wubi and got it running and I am happy about that. Took me 2 hours to get Adobe Flash Player to install on Mozilla since I am TOTALLY NEW to this. I have no clue how to use Linux, but I love it how it is so smooth. I truely hate vista since it is 2 times slower than XP, and it just sucks, hogging up all your CPU/RAM just to run it. I looked around on the internet on how to play WoW on Linux and what I stumbled upon is PlayonLinux.com. It seems to be a really neat program, I installed it. Being a total noob, I have no clue how to get it to play my games, I went to my folder that carried my installed games from Windows and the only game I got running was Diablo 2 since it required no CD, I right clicked and just clicked "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader". I got Diablo 2 working like a charm, and running SUPER SMOOTH, as in NO FPS LAG when I go play online. I would get that stupid FPS lag no matter what on any Vista computer that I've tried.

So...What I'm asking for is, what can you guys do to help me get WoW running and some other programs I have installed? My drivers are up to to date and good. :D

My Laptop's spec:
4GB Ram
Intel 2 Core Duo 2.33
Nvidia 9800M GTS 512MB Discrete video memory

I'm also running on 64Bit Ubuntu.

Spr0k3t
March 25th, 2009, 03:50 AM
There's an awesome guide for installing the latest updates/patches for WoW at http://www.wowwiki.com/Wine Give that a look through to see if that helps.

Rockstajim
March 25th, 2009, 05:42 AM
There's an awesome guide for installing the latest updates/patches for WoW at http://www.wowwiki.com/Wine Give that a look through to see if that helps.

Dude...You just made my day. Thank you so much, now I can rock on WoW.

1BigBore
March 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for this thread. I will follow the links when I get home from work. On a "win-box" at work and lunch is not long enough to follow up on things.
http://www.fsckin.com/2007/12/20/how-to-run-world-of-warcraft-wow-in-linux-using-wine/comment-page-2/ <==looks to be another good link.
I was able to at least read it from work.
I stole it from another thread, but I did not think anyone would mind.

xirrin
March 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Those are good, there is also a coupe GREAT posts here with some tips and tricks to try if the FPS is low. Just search for any WoW HOW TO articles on the forums here. I don't remember which one had the registry hack but that made all the difference in the world for me. Good luck!

Spr0k3t
March 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
If you are running 180.xx of the nvidia binary drivers, you shouldn't need the registry hack.

allenreed
March 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Can any tell me how i can get it to work with my Intel 945 chip set?

Brynster
March 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Can any tell me how i can get it to work with my Intel 945 chip set?

you might get to work however "running" might be a stretch.

Blizzards own benchmarks for the intel chipset on windows are not great so in Linux where the driver is not as good means it limps along and is not very stable at best. That is if you can get it to work at all.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, although as I always say i am happy to be proved wrong.

allenreed
March 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Blizzards own benchmarks for the intel chipset on windows are not great so in Linux where the driver is not as good means it limps along and is not very stable at best. That is if you can get it to work at all.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, although as I always say i am happy to be proved wrong.

Dang looks like ill be duel booting for a while...thanks for the help

mangloid
March 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Most people have not been able to get wow playable with intel chipset. Best to dual boot.

I wish that Idea to have an external video card for laptops running from the pcmcia port would have taken off... but it seems it disappeared after its showing a few years ago.

amritmatharu
March 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I've got an Intel chipset, AND a ATI graphics card, and I get a steady 60fps :), so there's hope for everyone. My advice, do things one step at a time. Don't rush it. If you get a problem, find a solution and don't just ignore it.