PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid to Jaunty

jtb_90
March 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
At the mo I'm using my first install of Ubuntu, which is 8.10 Intrepid Ibex as I have switched from Windows and I don't regret it at all.

Thing is, when Jaunty comes out, if I want it, is there a simple 'upgrade' feature on the CD to simply upgrade my Ubuntu OS but keep settings files etc.?

Or is it as simple as using the software upgrades?:S

I want to be able to upgrade and still keep my files and settings etc.

And btw, does Jaunty have any compatibility issues when compared to Intrepd?

Cheers! ;)

wjp.reg
March 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Press Alt-F2 and enter
update-manager -d. You may wish to backup your home partition first, just in case;).

Ran it this AM overtop my 8.10 install with no hiccups or dissapointments. All systems go!

P.S. I did have to reset the gnome default font size in the System > Preferences > Appearances

Cheers!

wookiehangover
March 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Upgraded yesterday and everything went great!

This is my third time upgrading using the update manager(Gusty to Intrepid to Jaunty), and its definitely the way to go if you're running a standard installation.

Same thing happend to me with needing to change the font size, but everything else carried over excellently.

Good Luck!

monkeyKata
March 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM
so you two both just upgraded, but isn't the final Jaunty 9.04 release not out yet?

Has it in fact been released, am I mistaken, or are these still alpha versions? And if they're alphas, how stable are they?

heiowge
March 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I used the update manager to upgrade my distro. I've upgraded feisty > gutsy > hardy > intrepid (admitedly doing an occasional full reinstall), so far and I don't see a problem updating to intrepid.

If you are using Hardy and want to go to intrepid, you need to change to upgrading at normal release rather than LTS release (default on hardy), apart from that it's 2 or 3 clicks and a password difficult.

You will have to wait for the release date to do it this way though (like I will)

wjp.reg
March 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
so you two both just upgraded, but isn't the final Jaunty 9.04 release not out yet?

Has it in fact been released, am I mistaken, or are these still alpha versions? And if they're alphas, how stable are they?

Correct. This is alpha 6 and not a final release, which is scheduled for release in April.

:p