PDA

View Full Version : CTRL-ALT-[F1-F6] not working

lachild
March 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone,

After reading a thread where someone else was having problems with CTRL-ALT-[F1-F6], I thought I'd try this myself and noticed that this key combo is not producing the terminal window even hiting the combo twice doesn't work, however CTRL-ALT-F7 does bring me back to X like it's suppose to.

I looked through the first 5 pages in this forum and don't see any other posts, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem?

nystire
March 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry to say this, but it works for me. My system is upgraded from Hardy though, so that could be the reason. Is your system by any chance a clean install?

danwood76
March 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
This used to happen with the fglrx ati driver.
What graphics drivers are you using?

I'm using the open source ATI radeon driver and ctrl alt F1 - F6 work fine.

ktp
March 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I had seen the same issue with fglrx...but never with opens source ati drivers.

rburkartjo
March 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
working fine on my end too no problems

Bakon Jarser
March 24th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I just tried this and had the opposite problem. CTRL+ALT+F1 brought up a virtual terminal just fine but CTRL+ALT+F7 didn't work. It tried to restart x. I got a black screen, a mouse that wouldn't move, and amarok started playing again but that's it. I tried ctrl+alt+bksp and then angrily remembered that that was not an option anymore.

llamakc
March 24th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I just tried this and had the opposite problem. CTRL+ALT+F1 brought up a virtual terminal just fine but CTRL+ALT+F7 didn't work. It tried to restart x. I got a black screen, a mouse that wouldn't move, and amarok started playing again but that's it. I tried ctrl+alt+bksp and then angrily remembered that that was not an option anymore.

Enabling ctrl-alt-backspace is easy; however, if it is not enabled the key combo of "alt-sysreq-k" will also work for you.

scaine
March 24th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Don't get angry, get even. Did you try ALTGR-SYSRQ-K (which is the same as CTRL-ALT-BS)? If you don't have a SYSRQ key, just use PrintScreen.

I have no issues with my virtual terminals, except that UXA does seem to want me to "confirm" my choice by giving me a quick glimpse of my terminal, then dumping me back at CTRL-ALT-F7. When it does so, a second attempt at CTRL-ALT-F1 has so far always gotten me to a terminal.

lachild
March 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone.

Last nights kernel update seemed to fix the problem. I now have no issues getting back and forth from the terminal.

LaChild