PDA

View Full Version : SVG > CDR, or SVG Plug-in for Corel Draw 8?

upgrdman
March 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hello,

My vinyl cutter does not work in Linux, so I use VMware + WindowsXP + Corel Draw 8 to do my cutting. My cutter only has plug-ins for Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator, and I happened to have Draw 8 stashed away. That brings back mixed memories of Windows 95 ... :)

Does any SVG to CDR converter exist, or does anyone know of a SVG plug-in / filter for Corel Draw 8? I know that Draw 9 has a SVG add-on, but that will not work with Draw 8 ... I tried.

Assuming the answer to the above is No, can anyone detail what file formats Inkscape exports to best? In other words, which file format will loose the least amount of information if I save to it.

My biggest concern is keeping sizes and positions as precise as possible. 1 inch in Inkscape should be exactly 1 inch in Corel Draw 8 if at all possible.

-Farrell

kmrs75
February 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
hey i just saw your posting i know its little late but you may be able to cut in linux - depends on your cutter --- as far as a coverter the problem with cdr there proprietary and im not too good in coral but i dont think you can do much with it - if you can import eps or pdf there both good in inkscape. before we could cut in inkscape we would save everything is svg and eps - but a few months ago inkscape can now open eps files so were saving everythign as eps files

but i would check into cutting straight from inkscape

upgrdman
February 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I have Inkscape 0.47 but I do not see any features related to cutting. Am I missing something?

-Farrell

kmrs75
February 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM
sorry i didnt explaing enough - here is my thread - it works great - what kind of cutter do you have - i have 2 one is a graphtec and the other is a very very low end china made mh i think its called - the graphtec works GREAT the china doesnt work at all it uses little diffrent coding - the guy that made it said roland does work too -- try it out and let me know what how ya do
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1142093&highlight=vinyl+cutter&page=2

kmrs75
May 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
To convert eps - svg to cdr look at sK1 its a very cool image program we use it a lot