PDA

View Full Version : Loving Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Out of curiousity I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 under windows XP then upgraded it to 9.04. So far so good. Had one crash thus far with the network manager but thus far it just been one time and it was before adding a few updates. Also checked out its new themes "Dust" "Dust Sand" and "New Wave". And my fav thus far is Dust (Although I like New Waves button highlight better).

Another thing I've noticed is that when you change wallpapers it tend to do a fade transit to it instead of a instant like usual and for me at least there seems to be a a few second delay before the transition starts. Nice thought but I think I will disable that when I figure out how. Also noticed a new utility "Computer Janitor" or at least seems new to me, I haven't noticed it in 8.10 but then again I may of not been paying attention, anywho this searches for unused packages in a effort to keep your system clean I guess.

oop apparently got some more updates to install. I'll post any new goodies i find in 9.04 for the sake of those who are curious but don't want to risk using 9.04 :) Of course others who are using it can share too of course I don't mind I won't bite...<end mindless chatter> :p

odysseusjak
March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
My experience has been great! I hope they continue with this. Power management, stability, New Wave theme, etc. Just about perfect. A couple of minuscule issues, but, hey, this is an alpha release!

BTW, I started with alpha 5 and have just been doing the updates (I check twice a day). It's been very solid.

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
My sister came to my home with her boyfriend's computer tonight and asked me to install linux. So I put ubuntu 9.04 on it.
And man! you know what? I was stunned by how nice it looked.
The only part of the look that wasnt great from the start was that it was set to human instead of New Wave, but man, those information bubbles look much better now (like "updates downloaded"... and such.. "crash detected").

Im having troubles with the ati card though :(

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
A slight announce for me is the currently in the update window there is a greyed out update for Brasero which doesn't check when there are updates so idk. System isn't going to die without it i think but meh.

My sister came to my home with her boyfriend's computer tonight and asked me to install linux. So I put ubuntu 9.04 on it.
The only part of the look that wasnt great from the start was that it was set to human instead of New Wave, but man, those information bubbles look much better now (like "updates downloaded"... and such.. "crash detected").

I'm sure it will be ironed out by release :) Its still in alpha after all :) But yea I love the new default login screen and even the bootloading screen its more sleek.

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM

you put an alpha release on someone's pc who doesn't even know how to install an OS? lol

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
also from another thread:

is it very use-able? i only use Linux part time, so i don't have a NEED in case something goes awry. btw, that login screen looks the secks.

also, how is with nvidia cards? (i have an Nvidia GTX 285)

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
also from another thread:

is it very use-able? i only use Linux part time, so i don't have a NEED in case something goes awry. btw, that login screen looks the secks.

Don't know I have dell's standard Intel Mobile...

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
currently installing. i'll report back shortly.

joey-elijah
March 23rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Ahhhh! I'm getting pretty stoked for 9.04! I won't install until it hits since it's only 21 days away (need to save black cd's)!

Bölvağur
March 23rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
you put an alpha release on someone's pc who doesn't even know how to install an OS? lol
well people normally doesnt want to learn anything so if they know someone that already knows it they turn to them.. thats how we all are. I think she might have installed ubuntu 8.04 on her computer her self.

9.04 is getting close to release date and I already gave a guy my 8.10 disk when he came here and asked if he could borrow it. So being in alpha stage for a short time is not a big deal really.... she might even find and report her second bug on lunchpad.

dont know, the rhardware driver manager crashed for me.
will probably work with the drivers from nvidias website

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
Ahhhh! I'm getting pretty stoked for 9.04! I won't install until it hits since it's only 21 days away (need to save black cd's)!

Why black cds? why not also use the normal blank? Or do you think your too good for the regular blanks?! :p

Sealbhach
March 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Anyone notice the sound quality is way better? Playing Last FM the sound is really clear and sharp, my PC speakers are luvin it.

Rokurosv
March 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
The New Wave theme is quite good. And at last they included the Dust theme in Ubuntu by default, took em long enough.

Here's a screenie of my desktop:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2wntu7c_th.jpg (http://i42.tinypic.com/2wntu7c.jpg)

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM
Anyone notice the sound quality is way better? Playing Last FM the sound is really clear and sharp, my PC speakers are luvin it.

if that's the case, there was something seriously wrong with your previous install.

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
got the nvida driver to load finally. had to apply some other updates first, then it worked like a charm for my Nvidia GTX 285.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
got the nvida driver to load finally. had to apply some other updates first, then it worked like a charm for my Nvidia GTX 285.

cool :)

pwnst*r
March 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
also, the boot up and shut down times are a LOT faster. my previous 8.10 install was only 2 days old so i'm not biased about it being because it's a new install.

mikeize
March 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I love this release as well. I installed it to my laptop first (to replace Arch), mainly for the updated kernel version. It worked so well, that I put it on my desktop!

My laptop definitely boots faster (can't really say about my desktop). Power management is awesome, specifically suspend/hibernate (thanks to kernel, I believe).

Overall appearance is really improved. I LOVE the notification bubble, and how integrated it is with Pidgin, for example. The bootup screen (is that what you call it?) is really slick with a nice new progress bar, as is the login screen.

Great job, and congratulations to everyone who had a hand in this. So far, Jaunty has solved more problems than it has created. Thank you.

ubuntu27
March 23rd, 2009, 05:27 AM

if that's the case, there was something seriously wrong with your previous install.

I am have not tested Ubuntu 9.04 yet. But, it seems that quite a few people believe that the sound quality in Jaunty has improved as evidenced by this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1103260).

There must be some truth in what Sealbach said.

novafluxx
March 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I downloaded the daily build for March 21st, installed that fresh with ext4, now I'm dual booting Windows (for my essentials) and Ubuntu 9.04! Its amazing, seems leaps beyond 8.10...8.10 reminds me a lot of 8.04.

Lets cheer for this trend to continue! Positive changes and advances!

kevdog
March 23rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Why would you change from Arch to Jaunty in order to upgrade the kernel? Arch is a rolling release and its possible to upgrade the kernel to the latest at any time!

swoll1980
March 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
I'm loving the whole thing. I didn't think the changes would be noticeable with this release, but I'm wrong as usual. I like the way the wall papers transition when you switch them, very smooth. The transition from the login to the desktop seems a lot smoother too.

mikeize
March 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Why would you change from Arch to Jaunty in order to upgrade the kernel? Arch is a rolling release and its possible to upgrade the kernel to the latest at any time!

I wasn't clear... Yes, I know this about Arch--it was the most appealing aspect of it as a distro. Unfortunately, I had some problems with it, that I was unable to solve. Specifically, I could not get touchpad scrolling to work. I read everything I could, asked for help in IRC and the arch forums, tried several different approaches... nothing worked.

I decided that I could live with a bit of 'lagging-edge' more than I could live without touchpad scrolling, and went back to Ubuntu. Suspend/Hibernate was something that worked awesomely in Arch, but it turns out that it was because of the newer kernel version... so that's why I tried out Jaunty.

TenLeftFingers
March 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm loving this release already. This is the one I'll be installing for people instead of telling them to stick with windows.

I'm disabling notifications though. I really don't like being disturbed while I'm working unless there's a fire out in the front desk :)

luvr
March 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
I'm loving the whole thing. I didn't think the changes would be noticeable with this release, but I'm wrong as usual.
Me too, I didn't expect any spectacular improvements, but I have been impressed with this alpha release.

With previous releases, there were always some problems that made them hard to use on some systems. For example, on two of my systems, USB was unusable under 8.04 (at least, starting from a certain, albeit unidentified, level of updates); under 8.10, using the open-source ATI display driver, the screen image on my 19" LCD monitor was displayed a little too high, so that the top half of the top panel disappeared off-screen; etc. There was always something that made Ubuntu rather unpleasant to use.

With the 9.04 alpha 5 and 6 releases, all these problems are gone, and I haven't discovered any new ones just yet. There has been the occasional crash (as you would expect from an alpha release), but these had already been reported as bugs on Launchpad. Overall, though, these most recent alpha releases are remarkably stable.

Now if only we could get a fully functional open-source ATI display driver, I would be perfectly happy. There seems to be significant progress toward this goal, though, so we may get to see it in time for the next Ubuntu release (9.10). I certainly hope so!

Mazza558
March 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with all these comments. With 8.04 and 8.10, improvements were made but Ubuntu never felt any more streamlined and solid. I felt it had actually regressed, especially compared with the two great releases; 7.04 and 7.10. There's the same number of improvements this time around, but every change has been a really great step forward.

- The bootup times are much faster than they used to be - though this was the main goal of Jaunty.

- Some really sensible decisions which required almost no effort on the part of the developers, but made all the difference to new users. Things like changing the type of rendering for ATI Open Source drivers, increasing 2D performance by a ton (it's faster than any other 3D driver now).

- New notifications are a sign of things to come for the big next release, 9.10 Karmic Koala.

- Some much-requested community themes have been added to the default install, meaning new users can change the default theme to something amazing, much easier than before.

- Some new artwork which gives Ubuntu a more professional feel - the new login screen, bootup screen - all work well together.

Although I was disappointed before when we got a feel of the amount changes on the way, The way 9.04 has subtley improved over 8.10 is actually enourmous.

Joe_Bishop
March 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Core changes made by Gnome and Kernel devs are very significant and good. Theme changes made by Canonical are dissapointed and tasteless.

BGFG
March 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
have to agree also,with an entire month to go junty is already leagues ahead of intrepid. Honestly, to me, not much to talk about in terms of new features except that i noticed you can now mouse-scroll in compact view in Gnome(kudos to the Gnome Devs). Other small changes around the GUI have made this release very crisp.

not really big on the new themes, Particularly dislike Dust, but I glad that the community at large seems pleased with the new inclusions. I usually modify my desktop look with the appearance-tools and Gnome-look anyway so theme changes don't really affect me.

So nothing new to see here. another satisfied user....

PRGUY85
March 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM

Use Unetbootin...

adredz
March 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Kubuntu Jaunty with superbar...love it!:)

joey-elijah
March 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Use Unetbootin...

NO, i want to do a clean install and sort out my (seemingly) bizarre amount of partitons that Ubuntu says i can't format or delete since this will render any OS on the same disk unusable.

So i'm happy to wait thanks.

peterLinux
March 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Running Kubuntu 9.04 for 3-4 weeks now.

kvm has USB support.. Love it, got rid of my last XP box
KDE 4.2.1 ... usable again still missing the CURRENT weather 'plasma'
(& switch to classic menu view...)
ext4 is very fast (although you can loose data, do research before using it & buy a UPS - has to do with a 30 sec commit interval)

Still got a HW problem with HDA Intel sound
Kaffeine is not ready for 4.2 have to find another good DVD player ...
(tried a couple but the playback quality is poor or not working at all)

All in all pretty good!

Peter

lachild
March 25th, 2009, 02:23 AM
When I moved up from Hardy the first thing I noticed was the quick boot time. Wow. I've timed it and I'm looking at 25-30 secs from power on to a fully usable X session (pausing the clock to login of course).

I came on before the boot and login screens changed so I didn't notice any major changes in the apps from Hardy... But I was able to notice that the system seemed twice as responsive. It just "felt" more stable and made Hardy "Feel" kinda sluggish.

Evolution also had some changes since Hardy and it seems to also be operating a little better.

My only complaints are with Duel screen displays. Seems this has still been overlooked for this release. BUT I am starting to see some major activity with the bugs reported on Launchpad and with release not that far out there's still hope for these to resolved as well. ::Keeps fingers crossed::

Oh and one more thing. It looks like they got boot times working WAY to good in Janty... Shutdown->reboot->open all needed apps, now takes less then half the time of Hibernate->resume.

LaChild

screaminj3sus
March 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Love the boot time. RIDICULOUSLY fast especially with ext4.

Also this alpha is much mroe stable than the last ubuntu beta I tried which is impressive. Not one crash yet.