PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems using flac

jamesclayden
March 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Whenever i set either audiojucer or rythembox to encode of a cd it will use not use flack it will just use an alternative eg m4p ogg. I have installed flac from package manager and i am using ubuntu 8.10.

Any idea what my problem is?

logos34
March 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
make sure it's enabled and the gstreamer pipeline is correct:

>edit>prefs>edit profiles>cd quality lossless (flac)>the "active?" box shouldbe checked and the pipeline look like this:

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc

Yerknutz
March 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
I don't have any experience with juicer or rhythmbox but am enjoying the app I was used to in Windows running in wine nicely ripping to AAC, Flac and Wmv.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

jamesclayden
March 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the help.

I managed to get it working by installing the C++ library from package manager. Is there a way to get the file size a bit smaller by customizing any settings?

logos34
March 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Is there a way to get the file size a bit smaller by customizing any settings?

if you mean the resulting flac file, I think the default is "5" on a flac scale of 0-8 (8 being the smallest, but also slower encoding speed).

So try:

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc quality=8

But remember: flac is lossless, with a size at best around 45% of the original .wav file. You could try monkey's audio or maybe wavpack for a slightly smaller file, but you'd have to use a different ripper. (and .ape file playback = high cpu% overhead).

If space is at a premium, maybe you'd be better off with lossy format. Personally, I use ogg rather than mp3 (-q 5 to -q 7 range, or ~160 to ~224 kbps). can't tell it from the original

jayesh2605
March 31st, 2009, 02:30 AM
Same Problem here i used rythembox to encode of a cd it just uses an alternative eg m4p ogg. I have installed flac from package manager and i am using ubuntu 8.10.
pls help me out of this

logos34
March 31st, 2009, 04:04 AM
Same Problem here i used rythembox to encode of a cd it just uses an alternative eg m4p ogg. I have installed flac from package manager and i am using ubuntu 8.10.
pls help me out of this

try

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(it's a metapackage that will drag in a bunch of gstreamer stuff, including some libflac)