PDA

View Full Version : OSX switcher tips?

quietglow
December 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I'm a Mac admin, and I've been using Ubuntu since July--I love it. Lots of discussion is focused around making Windows switchers comfortable with Linux, but there is not as much directed to mac switchers.

I was wondering if any other OSX switchers might want to share tips for making Linux seem more "homey?"

I still use osx frequently at work so little things that help make switching back and forth easily are the things I focus on. For instance, the first thing I do when I install Ubuntu is move the window buttons to the proper, I mean left, side :-) Only making the switch back and forth from the control to the apple key causes me more grief. The window buttons are an easy fix though:

Applications>System Tools>Configuration Editor

Open "apps" and then find "metacity" and open it. Click on the general folder and note the "button layout" in the right part of the configuration editor. You can double click on the list of buttons and change them to "close,maximize,minimize:menu instead" of "menu:close,maximize,minimize" or even take out the maximize and minimize if you're going for the OS 9 style.

poofyhairguy
December 30th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Install Kompose or Skippy. Both in synaptic.

Kompose is better.

Use KDE and have a universal menu bar.

Find one of the many OSX themes for Gnome or KDE.

Use Engage:

http://www.enlightenment.org/Applications/Engage/

Or the gdesklets starterbar:

sudo apt-get install gdesklets gdesklets-data

Applications, accessories, gdesklets.

Use my guide to turn on drop shadows:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75527

quietglow
December 30th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Use my guide to turn on drop shadows:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75527

Oh man do those drop shadows make things look osx-y!

galvatron1983
December 31st, 2005, 12:25 AM
Im an OSX user and although Ive recently become interested in Linux I dont think it could completely replace it on my macs hard drive. WinXP on the other hand is a different story, when it comes to PCs Linux will be the only operating system for me.

Unfortunately my university degree and my chosen career path force me to use Windows, but for everything else Linux is my choice. I see Linux as OS X for the PC, with the added bonus of it being even more secure.

It will replace never OS X for me though, I just like the ease of use (hell, and the commercial software! :( ) too much to abandon it comepletely. I guess Im just lazy when it comes to my OS's!

quietglow
December 31st, 2005, 02:20 AM
hell, and the commercial software!

LOL! That's always been the reason why people tell me they can't use a Mac! How times change...

I just spent three days finally doing something I've been meaning to for a long while: teaching myself vector drawing basics. I'm so impressed with the functionality of Inkwell, its not funny.

I'm getting ready to press some iron-on transfers on tshirts. I've attached one design and will make a package of them all along with iron-on directions when I get finished up with the others.

quietglow
January 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Wow, are there really so few people who moved to Ubuntu from X? I know its a bad assumption that they'd all post in this thread :-) but I figured there would be some more interest.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Wow, are there really so few people who moved to Ubuntu from X? I know its a bad assumption that they'd all post in this thread :-) but I figured there would be some more interest.

Hmm....they are really different markets.

Ubuntu with its freeness is the low end of the market ( which does not mean its the worst by any means).

Macs with their expensiveness are the upperclass of the computer market.

So its no too surprising that there are not many switchers (yet).

Wait till the fix OSX is released that won't run on PPC machine....THEN they will come.

quietglow
January 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I know that always ends up being the common perception, but really it doesn't pan out. I just bought an HP DV4000, which is a pretty decent laptop. After rebates it was like $1100 US. For that same price I could have found an older aluminum PB from a reseller (i.e. not by risking it on ebay or something).

That's still a pretty good amount of money, though. But you can get into a OSX able mac for really dirt cheap if your goal is OSX. If you hunt around at the resellers that advertise on Lowendmac.com and others you can regularly find G4 towers (albiet 400 or 533 mhz) for $200. Slow, but if you just want os x...

Its when you want OSX and lots of speed that you start to pay dearly :-)

I know that you know all that Poofy...I laugh sometimes, though, when I see people spend $500 building an intel box to run a cracked copy of OSX86 and wind up with some unstable crap. For that same $500 they could get a decent older mac, run Tiger, and learn to appreciate taking things slow :-)

mstlyevil
January 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I know that always ends up being the common perception, but really it doesn't pan out. I just bought an HP DV4000, which is a pretty decent laptop. After rebates it was like $1100 US. For that same price I could have found an older aluminum PB from a reseller (i.e. not by risking it on ebay or something).

That's still a pretty good amount of money, though. But you can get into a OSX able mac for really dirt cheap if your goal is OSX. If you hunt around at the resellers that advertise on Lowendmac.com and others you can regularly find G4 towers (albiet 400 or 533 mhz) for $200. Slow, but if you just want os x...

Its when you want OSX and lots of speed that you start to pay dearly :-)

I know that you know all that Poofy...I laugh sometimes, though, when I see people spend $500 building an intel box to run a cracked copy of OSX86 and wind up with some unstable crap. For that same $500 they could get a decent older mac, run Tiger, and learn to appreciate taking things slow :-)

For $500 you can get a new Mac Mini and at least have OSX on a capable system for what you would pay to build for a cracked version or just a little more than an old G4 tower. I thought about buying a Mac Mini just for the purpose of playing with OSX.

quietglow
January 10th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I thought about buying a Mac Mini just for the purpose of playing with OSX.

Actually my last Mac I bought was a Mini. I got a sweet 23" Cinema Display and the mini and figured I'd use it as sort of a media center--mostly watching movies, TV piped in over FW, and video game emulators. Low demand stuff. I'm a real tolerant guy when it comes to macs, but the thing really drove me insane. I had lots of issues with the processor overheating, the 4200 rpm drive was SO slow...By the end when I sold it, I would have MUCH rather had a good ol' g4 533 with a nice 7200 rpm drive and an upgaded graphics card--probably would have cost less. Just my experience, of course.

rado_london
May 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM
OSX86 isnt that buggy. In fact is acting twice as good as Windows and just a bit faster than ubuntu. And for the price of my laptop i cant get same mac. they are just expensie for me.

mips
May 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Look at the Baghira KDE theme if you want the Mac look of osx.

fuscia
May 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
yeah, baghira can come closer to looking like osx than anything else i've ever tried. the OS-L icons (also for kde) look closest to me, as well.

better would be to just think of ubuntu as a new operating system. i came from windows and never saw the point in trying to relate it to windows.in my view, linux does linux better than it does osx. have a look at some alternative window managers, like fluxbox, openbox or ratpoison, and you'll see some of the things you won't see on a mac or windows.