PDA

View Full Version : can I upgrade 8.10 to 9.04 when it comes out?

Whiteeagle
March 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
This is what my PC is
emachine
XP-SP2
Celeron(R)CPU 2.93GHx
2.93GHz,760MB of RAM
I want to put 8.10 in F Drive 73.7 GB free space. Nothing else
on drive.

I want to install Ubuntu and have 8.10 ready to install, but since 9.04 is so close will I be able to upgrade to 9.04. I read where you can't upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and wondering if I would have trouble with 9.04.:popcorn:

tbegush
March 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes you can upgrade to 9.04, the same way you'd install updates - through the update manager, - but I suggest that you wait until the official release

OrangeCrate
March 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
This is what my PC is
emachine
XP-SP2
Celeron(R)CPU 2.93GHx
2.93GHz,760MB of RAM
I want to put 8.10 in F Drive 73.7 GB free space. Nothing else
on drive.

I want to install Ubuntu and have 8.10 ready to install, but since 9.04 is so close will I be able to upgrade to 9.04. I read where you can't upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and wondering if I would have trouble with 9.04.:popcorn:

That's not true. You can't by default, because it an LTS version, but if you change the upgrade option in Software Sources from long term support only, to normal releases, you can upgrade to 8.10. After making the change, the next time you open Update Manager, it will offer you the option to upgrade.

And, confirming what has already been said, you can go ahead and install 8.10 now, and then simply upgrade to 9.04 via the Update Manager after it's released, or, you can wait to install 9.04 fresh after release.

stone1343
March 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
I have a follow-up question: What's the difference between updating Intrepid to Jaunty or installing Jaunty fresh? I have my Acer Aspire One working fine, I had to download madwife-hal (maybe you've met her :-) ) and alsa-driver, plus I've updated OOo and Gimp and done some other basic configuration. Will upgrading to Jaunty undo all that stuff? As I understand it, Jaunty includes the 2.6.28 kernel, which may have the madwife stuff built-in, so does it clean up the stuff I installed which is no longer needed? Is the upgrade basically just a whole bunch of individual packages? Does each package have the smarts to properly install itself? Are some of the packages written by Canonical?

If there's somewhere you can point me, that's awesome.

RedSingularity
March 22nd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I plan on upgrading as well when the stable release is finally out. I hope it doesnt mess with my settings though. I put to much work into my current setup!

OrangeCrate
March 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Contrary to what you might have heard, or read, upgrading is actually preferred over a fresh install...

Actually, We do NOT advise a clean install every time you want to upgrade. The upgrade path receives far more testing and attention than the clean install path. The official recommended method for moving to a new version of Ubuntu is to use a supported upgrade procedure!

jdong - post #96 - in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6063808

RedSingularity
March 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Ohhh thats good to know. I always thought it was the other way around.

RD1
March 22nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
Ohhh thats good to know. I always thought it was the other way around.

Only if you're running Windows. :p

zvacet
March 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
@ Shadow121

I hope it doesnt mess with my settings though

Best way to protect your settings is to have separate home partition.if you donīt have one you can make it following this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) or this (http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2008/04/moving-home-to-its-own-partition.html) guide.

RedSingularity
March 22nd, 2009, 04:52 AM
Interesting......thanks! :)

Whiteeagle
March 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yes you can upgrade to 9.04, the same way you'd install updates - through the update manager, - but I suggest that you wait until the official release

Thanks,
Yeah, I was planning to wait for the new one.:)

Whiteeagle
March 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
That's not true. You can't by default, because it an LTS version, but if you change the upgrade option in Software Sources from long term support only, to normal releases, you can upgrade to 8.10. After making the change, the next time you open Update Manager, it will offer you the option to upgrade.

And, confirming what has already been said, you can go ahead and install 8.10 now, and then simply upgrade to 9.04 via the Update Manager after it's released, or, you can wait to install 9.04 fresh after release.

Thanks for this.
I feel better about doing it now.
I was unable to install 8.04 for some reason so I installed 7.10. then when I got the good version of 8.10 I couldn't uninstall 7.10. It's all clear now. Had to format so 7.10 disappeared anyway.
Thanks guys. I'll learn this stuff eventually.
No need to respond to 7.10. That's in my past. But it sure was a simple one to install.

KCG102282
March 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I read where you can't upgrade 8.04 to 8.10

Where di you read this I did it last night?

Whiteeagle
March 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
@ Shadow121

Best way to protect your settings is to have separate home partition.if you donīt have one you can make it following this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) or this (http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2008/04/moving-home-to-its-own-partition.html) guide.

I was going to stop with the questions but I have to ask this question.
If I am going to use only Ubuntu on this hard drive, is it necessary to have a separate home partition? There will be regular Windows folders, (Program Files, Recycler and System Volume Information)but I don't plan to use them.

snova
March 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
If I am going to use only Ubuntu on this hard drive, is it necessary to have a separate home partition?

No. It's never necessary, though it has some advantages.

Whiteeagle
April 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Where di you read this I did it last night?

Sorry, It looks like I misread. It was this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Before You Start

By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This is because the 8.04 LTS version is a long term support release and 8.10 is a regular release. Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 are fully supported, of course, and easy to enable.

You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (see UpgradeNotes).

The upgrade will not be presented by default because 8.10 is not a Long Term Support (LTS) release.
* Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS before you upgrade.

Before upgrading it is recommended that you read the release notes for Ubuntu 8.10, which document caveats and workarounds for known issues in this version.

If you have a version of Ubuntu which was released before Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, please see Installation/UpgradeFromOldVersion for information on how to upgrade.

But since I didn't have 8.04 I went ahead with 8.10. It installed but I can't get into it.
I reboot and I get a black page with about 3 types of ubuntu and 2 windows selections to make. I gave up in ubuntu and clicked on the windows and it went to another black page with windows and ubuntu. I clicked on ubuntu and it took me to the ubuntu sign in page but it won't go any further.
With y'all talking about having the partition, I don't think I made one. When I installed it asked me about the partition and I chose to put ubuntu on all the free space on the drive. It's a 75 GB drive with only about 3 folders of windows that I cannot delete. One won't even let me look to see what's in it.
I may just wait for 9.04 as I haven't been able to put anything on 8.10 to upgrade to 9.04.
Thanks for all your help.