PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Copying files from a external NTFS hard drive

Castor68
March 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Before I installed Ubuntu in my hard disk, I put all my files in a external hard drive whit a NTFS file system.

How can I copy them from it in Ubuntu?. I know there issues with the NTFS and I don't want to lose them for making a mistake.

prshah
March 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
I know there issues with the NTFS

There are no "issues" whatsoever with Ubuntu accessing NTFS drives; and there have been none since Ubuntu 7.10 (when out-of-box support for ntfs was added).

How are you planning to use the "external" drive in Ubuntu? Is it a USB drive? In that case, you simply plug it in and it will be recognized and loaded automatically.

For anything else, post back with more information for detailed guidance.

Castor68
March 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
It's a 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent. I'll try and I tell you later.

Thanks for the help.

Castor68
March 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I pluged it and I got the next message:

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0,0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.
Choose one action:
Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.
Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsability. For example type on the command line:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1/media/FreeAgent Drive -o force.
Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sdb1 /media/FreeAgent Drive ntfs-3g force 0 0

leonardo_neo
March 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
I pluged it and I got the next message:

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0,0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.
Choose one action:
Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.
Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsability. For example type on the command line:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1/media/FreeAgent Drive -o force.
Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sdb1 /media/FreeAgent Drive ntfs-3g force 0 0

I usually do the first trick in such cases.

If you have a dual boot, or windows in some other comp, then mount the external hard disk to that, and then "safely unmount/remove" the external hard disk.

Then try to mount the disk on Ubuntu, and it wont have any problem.

I know for some this trick is unpalatable as it is something dependent on Windows, but I never new about the second trick, so I used to do like that. If you are not comfortable with the second trick, then of course you can choose the first one.

Castor68
March 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM
I don't have a dual boot. But, I'll try to get a laptop with Vista.

If anyone knows another answer ... plese, tell me !!

brian4120
March 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have done option 2 several times on my own external drive without any problems. But I agree, if you are being very cautious about mounting your drive, go with option 1.

InfectedWithDrew
March 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
I highly recommend that you safely unmount it in Windows.

----------------
Now playing: Red - Hide (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/red/track/hide)