PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin changes shutdown icon

Yumi
March 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM
When I open Pidgin, the red shutdown icon in the top right corner changes to a green circle. Also and quite normal Pidgin opens a "Process icon" in the middle of the toolbar. When I quit Pidgin, I get my red icon back. Add How can I avert this?

Michael

Tich666
March 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
You can disable the system tray icon in preferences (first tab, first option).

As for the shutdown icon changing to reflect your pidgin status, I don't know if you can disable that feature, but it's quite practical especially if you chose to disable the tray icon and want to change your status frequently.

tad1073
March 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
You can always remove the shut down icon and have it your menu.

buixuanduong1983
March 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
You can change this behavior of power button with Pidgin, you can change in gconf-editor, turn off /apps/fast-user-switch-applet/show_presence_info.

Yumi
March 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
Thank you buixuanduong, this is working. And thanks for the other replies. I use the QQ protocol in China and have low frequency chats. So the system-tray icon is sufficient for me.

Michael

Yumi
March 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately changing the show_presence_info setting helps - but only for a short time. Maybe after 10 Minutes, latest after restarting Pidgin the button turns to a green circle again.

Michael

gbrandel
March 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
I too dislike the shutdown ui component being connected to the im status. If an application is going to repurpose and/or augment the functionality of an existing (and unrelated) ui component it would be nice if there was a corresponding straight forward configuration option to disable the integration. Is this a native feature of pidgin on Gnome or something Ubuntu adds?

Regards,
Griffith

btdown
March 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I dislike this too..It really annoys me......to the point that I want to get rid of pidgin....

I pretty much hate pidgin, but there isn't much else out there.

TrueTom
March 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
I dislike this too..It really annoys me......to the point that I want to get rid of pidgin....

I pretty much hate pidgin, but there isn't much else out there.

It's not Pidgin's fault, though...

Mr. Picklesworth
March 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Or if you just need the FUSA applet for shutting down the computer, remove that applet and add the "Shut Down" applet in its place.

And this isn't Pidgin. This is a feature of the Fast User Switch applet, and it applies when you run any IM software that is well integrated with the desktop.
The green circle (or red triangle, etc.) represents your status. It will make a lot more sense when we get the whole People thing rolling.

mihai007
March 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
this is the shutdown applet problem, it should have an option for this.

P.S: I also dislike icon changing on by default

Polygon
March 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM
i have reported a bug about this, feel free to contribute.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/343349

novafluxx
March 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I don't really like it either, nor do I like/need/want fast user switching.

I wish there were an EASY obvious way to disable that.

mihai007
March 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
i have reported a bug about this, feel free to contribute.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/343349

Done so, thanks.

TrueTom
March 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I wish there were an EASY obvious way to disable that.

There is: Recompile gnome-panel...

Mr. Picklesworth
March 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM
There is: Recompile gnome-panel...

Uhm... no, just remove the panel applet.