PDA

View Full Version : Linux IRC client with mIRC-Scripting

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I can't seem to find a better place.

Is anyone here familiar with a Linux IRC client that can run mIRC scripts?
I know that I can run it with Wine but it too problematic as I need it for a dedicated server.

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
No. Only mIRC can run mIRC scripts.

If you're desparate to use mIRC, you can run it under WINE, you will need to get a few native DLLs (use winetricks for that) in order to be able to open the scripts editor.

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
my problem is that my dedicated server doesnt have a screen or anything, i access it through ssh

jimi_hendrix
March 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
my problem is that my dedicated server doesnt have a screen or anything, i access it through ssh

may i recommend irssi?

Bachstelze
March 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM

You can use VNC.

may i recommend irssi?

I didn't know irssi could run mIRC scripts...

Eisenwinter
March 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
It can't.

But it supports Perl scripting.

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
You can use VNC.

how do i make it a VNC? its a fedora 9 server.

jimi_hendrix
March 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM

for the no monitor part

Dr Small
March 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
In regards to the lack of a monitor, use SSH, connect to the dedicated server, launch screen, and open IRSSI, the best IRC client available :) VNC is too laggy for my likings, just to open a display to view a IRC client.

Mehall
March 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
In regards to the lack of a monitor, use SSH, connect to the dedicated server, launch screen, and open IRSSI, the best IRC client available :) VNC is too laggy for my likings, just to open a display to view a IRC client.

Agreed, and there are TONS of irssi scripts out there.

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
i'm afraid it wont work for me, i have bots with scripts and i must run them :(
how do i launch screen?

Dr Small
March 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Ditto
http://scripts.irssi.org/

Dr Small
March 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
i'm afraid it wont work for me, i have bots with scripts and i must run them :(
how do i launch screen?
Bot scripts should never be run client side anyhow. If you're running a bot, you should also have a server on the planet somewhere that can run it.

As for screen, just type:

screen

Launch IRSSI, and when you want to detach screen, press:

CTRL+a d

When you want to reattach screen, run:

screen -r

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I didn't code those bots, but I must use them. I have a linux server, so I can't run the mIRC there. I don't want to purchase a WINDOWS VNC server just for the mirc.

Bachstelze
March 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I didn't code those bots, but I must use them. I have a linux server, so I can't run the mIRC there. I don't want to purchase a WINDOWS VNC server just for the mirc.

You can use VNC on a Linux server, I have two of them. However, this is not the right place to ask about setting it up on Fedora.

SpriteSODA
March 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
is it a serious hussle?

conundrumx
March 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Setting up VNC is easy. However, the Ubuntu forums are probably the wrong place to seek help for Fedora. As far as your problem; if you can't (or won't) run mIRC in Wine then you're SOL. Your only options are Wine or Virtualization, no *nix client supports mIRC scripts.

Mrenigma
March 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM
hi Guys i'm a new Linux "ubuntu" user i dont know any thing but i install it and wana learn on it but i have a problem i really need to Run the "mIRC" on it but i can't install wine :-s thats my problem can i have some help?

this is the error
root@enigma-laptop:/home/enigma/Desktop# apt-get install WINE
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package WINE
root@enigma-laptop:/home/enigma/Desktop#

Tibuda
March 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
hi Guys i'm a new Linux "ubuntu" user i dont know any thing but i install it and wana learn on it but i have a problem i really need to Run the "mIRC" on it but i can't install wine :-s thats my problem can i have some help?

this is the error
root@enigma-laptop:/home/enigma/Desktop# apt-get install WINE
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package WINE
root@enigma-laptop:/home/enigma/Desktop#

it should be lower case.

Sam
March 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
All packages names are lowercase.

sudo apt-get install wine

samalex
March 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM

I agree. irssi won't run mIRC scripts, but it shouldn't be hard to either rewrite mIRC scripts for irssi or find canned scripts that do the same thing. Personally I think irssi is more powerful, but I haven't done any IRC scripting in YEARS.

Sam