PDA

View Full Version : An idiot on another forum...

suitedaces
March 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
has just posted this in a reply to a harmless comment I made.

What's linux? Every new flavour is so dumbed down they may as well call them vista or leopard

If it wasn't free it would be **** and open source programs are 99% garbage security riddled crap written by developers who couldn't make it in any of the big software houses. This crapware is free for a reason.

Would you buy a car that was cobbled together from parts made by unknown sources? If so, when it broke down, who would you depend on to fix it?

Linux = apache. If you're not running an apache server then linux = useless to the vast majority.

He's a seasoned poster on there, so not your average troll. I know he's wrong, but I'm not good at articulating witty/deep internet responses. Can anyone help me out?

blueamcat
March 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sad. Makes you feel bad for them almost. They don't know what they're missing! I'm not good at that sort of thing either.

suitedaces
March 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Oh, he's just edited this onto his post:

The simple fact that it’s been around and available for free for the past 10+ years and yet the installed base is less than 1% should ring a bell.

kestrel1
He obviously hasn't tried Linux. If he is willing to spend his hard earned on MS & Apple stuff then let him. Basically he has no idea what he is saying.

73ckn797

He's a seasoned poster on there, so not your average troll. I know he's wrong, but I'm not good at articulating witty/deep internet responses. Can anyone help me out?

I get the impression that the person is arrogant and really knows nothing much about what they are saying.

Don't get defensive with them but turn the tables and ask what specifically they have found to back-up their comments with. Make them show documentation as evidence of their claim(s). Have they tried any and found them to be un-secure crap? Maybe they are insecure more so than Linux is unsecure?

linuxisevolution
March 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Well he says that Vista and leopard is dumbed down also, or worse (because they are lol). So what does he use? hmm.... No windows, no apple, no Linux, he must live in a tent and have magic powers to use the internet.

Or he is using some OS that only has, say 2 developers ;)

I would *state* that he could or might be an idiot, but I don't know him, he could be a genius for all I know.

I am not going to be rude here because the mods here are... for lack of a better word: odd. I would say that he doesn't know what he is talking about. And tell him to go back to his Viopsys or Mac os 6 or what ever he is using. :P

dacorr
March 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Linux is more secure than windows by default and design.

the may concern with linux is the open source as security experts believe bad people can look at the source to find weaknesses when windows is closed source and we all know how well that worked.

funny thing is that XP was the most stable release of windows and the kernel is 2 thirds Linux as Bill gates purchased the linux development team bar one.

A number of windows tools started off life as Linux and the windows TCP/IP protocol stack is based on FreeBSD. Microsoft themselves use linux servers although they will not publicly admit it.

I wont turn it into an Anti MS post i think he needs to research his comments.

it sounds like he is making comments based on assumptions

pointyblufish
There wouldn't be any point in replying to that comment. But if you must, just quote "What's Linux?" and supply http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux as the response.

xpod
Ignore him and go do something more constructive with your time.;)

kestrel1
March 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe he has never had a virus or malware attack his machine, it could be a ZX spectrum.

suitedaces
March 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
A bit of digging has unveiled this post he made in response to one of the most competent IT people on the forum (it's not an IT related forum)

You idiot i see more in tech in 1 month than you do in a year including stuff from your beloved sony. The only one who seems to have a ******* (sexual reference) with microsoft is your dim witted self since you come from the microsoft is bad generation of geezers who are being forced out of the market by us "youngsters". I use Firefox as my browser and most of my machines run on unix and linux (I highlighted this myself, interesting...)so there goes your entire argument to quote you "****wit". The best part is you're a nobody, a nothing and if you killed yourself nobody would give a **** except maybe your dungeons and dragons family or the video store guy you rent movies from on the weekend. A software programmer who lives on video games and sucks **** calling someone else an idiot............seriously :rolleyes: go **** yourself nobody. How's that for fact of the matter?

Asides from these two posts, I haven't noticed him much in his 11k+ posts.

suitedaces
March 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
:lolflag:
I quoted his rant in my reply to him, he says "I'm in that 1%"!

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Name and link to thread please.

billgoldberg
March 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM
A bit of digging has unveiled this post he made in response to one of the most competent IT people on the forum (it's not an IT related forum)

Asides from these two posts, I haven't noticed him much in his 11k+ posts.

The only one with 11k+ posts that comes to mind here is ChyperCH or something in that line, was it him?

MaxIBoy
March 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM

He's a seasoned poster on there, so not your average troll. I know he's wrong, but I'm not good at articulating witty/deep internet responses. Can anyone help me out?Do not feed the trolls. Let 'em rant and rave. Unless they actually start spreading a concerning amount of misinformation. In that case, present the facts as they are, cite your sources, and don't get worked up. You'll wind up being seen as more credible.

suitedaces
March 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Name and link to thread please.

Sorry, badly worded. By other forum I mean not in ubuntuforums.org.

overdrank
March 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Closed for review.

matthew
March 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm going to leave the thread closed. No one is in trouble, but the whole idea of discussing the actions of someone on another forum and calling them an idiot (even if they are horribly wrong) is not in line with our code of conduct. :)