PDA

View Full Version : Stop Pidgin abusing notifications

OliW
March 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
For some reason, under the new notification doobrey, Pidgin feels the urge to tell me about the signing-ins of every Tom, **** and Harry that I've been unfortunate enough to befriend.

Needless to say: I don't want this! I don't care about these people that much that I need a notification! If I did want this behaviour, I'd create a pounce.

So yes. How do I stop Pidgin doing this?

Tich666
March 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
+1

Sometimes when my wireless acts up I have to reconnect to the AP, which causes pidgin to lose its connection and consequently telling me that 10+ people are online right now as soon as it comes back.

I've been annoyed about this "feature" ever since it was introduced, but not bothered enough to file a complain.

I would propose to make it configurable with settings such as:
* notifications alway on (current behaviour)
* notifications on, when pidgin is hidden (contact list window not open or minimized)
* notifications off

TrueTom
March 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Go to plugins and look for 'libnotify'...

(Oh, and it's not Pidgin's fault btw.)

go7Ul1ai
March 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Actually, you can configure Pidgin notifications, just go onto the Pidgin plugins, go down to the notifications plugin and click configure, there you go :)

OliW
March 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Silly libnotify plugin! Who thought turning that on by default was a good idea? *grumbles*

TrueTom
March 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Silly libnotify plugin! Who thought turning that on by default was a good idea? *grumbles*

Showcasing new features is more important than usability.

OliW
March 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Showcasing new features is more important than usability.

I think you can advertise new features without enforcing them on users. Especially when the method to turn it off is hidden in the depths of Pidgin's plugins.

MacUntu
March 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
is hidden in the depths of Pidgin's plugins.
Not really hidden.

OliW
March 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Not really hidden.

It's not in preferences, which you'll have to argue with me for a very long time to convince me shouldn't be the place where you're given the option to turn them on and off.

To counter any "ohbutit'saplugin" in advance, perhaps it shouldn't be. Sound notifications are core, after all...

gnomeuser
March 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I find that plugin exceedingly useful, just with a few badly picked defaults. Not that it matters now that I have killed off pidgin in favor of empathy (and.. sigh, amsn since that has webcam support for msn).

cl333r
March 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think you can advertise new features without enforcing them on users. Especially when the method to turn it off is hidden in the depths of Pidgin's plugins.

+1

For a normal user it is indeed hidden and the defaults are silly

go7Ul1ai
March 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I wish there was a unified Notifications Preferences tool so we can configure everything Notify-osd wise all in one place.

int
March 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I like a lot the notifications, and the integration with pidgin..

go7Ul1ai
March 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I like a lot the notifications, and the integration with pidgin..

I agree, it's nice to see some more updates to notify-osd and the indicator applet too. And just noticed on Transmission that it supports the new notifications also :)

Halow
March 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I wish there was a unified Notifications Preferences tool so we can configure everything Notify-osd wise all in one place.
Yes. I think this would be loads better than finding the plugins (or not, if there aren't any!) for each and every program that does or will utilize them.

jastonas
March 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
But is there any way to be able to click on the person that has signed in to open a chat window? That is a bit annoying...

TrueTom
March 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
But is there any way to be able to click on the person that has signed in to open a chat window? That is a bit annoying...

No, this is by design, because it's easier if you have to open the contact list manually...

jastonas
March 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
In what sense is it easier?
Easier to have to open contact list and go through the 100 contacts?

rudenko_ruslan
March 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
In what sense is it easier?
Easier to have to open contact list and go through the 100 contacts?
Maybe that was sarcasm? :p

TrueTom
March 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe that was sarcasm? :p
Indeed. To make it even more clear: The design of the notification system is fundamentally broken and there is basically nowhere you can go from the current point.

stoffe
March 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM
This is a recurring problem with all the apps that like to put functionality in plugins, even for the most basic stuff sometimes - you can't even get a 24-hour timestamp in pidgin without finding the correct plugin, no matter that a large percent of the world does NOT use the am/pm paradigm...

As for plugins such as libnotify, that many would like to configure, it could probably be solved by having these apps allowing plugins to add preferences to the regular preferences, as it's onw tab or in fitting places.

The whole everything in a plugin is fundamentally broken because it's so hard to use, though it's architecturally sound in many cases.

Otherwise, I think it works really well and the defaults fit me well. The only thing that disturbs me is that these new notifications seem to draw my attention much more, probably due to them being much more prominent on light background, and possibly also by being in the top right corner instead of bottom right where I'm used to having pidgin libnotifications. Maybe I would like to change that...

jastonas
March 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
What a pity... new notifications look so nice. I hope they can find a way to fix any problems.

techdude3177
March 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The only downside i find turning off this libnotify plugin is that the IM in the window list doesnt flash anymore. And normally i dont have sound on so the only way i can tell if i get a new message is if pidgin blinks in the notification area.... which i dont always catch all the time... i feel like i am in catch 22!

ThrobbingBrain66
March 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
The only downside i find turning off this libnotify plugin is that the IM in the window list doesnt flash anymore. And normally i dont have sound on so the only way i can tell if i get a new message is if pidgin blinks in the notification area.... which i dont always catch all the time... i feel like i am in catch 22!

You have to turn on the Message Notification plugin. libnotify and the "blinking" windows have nothing to do with each other.

techdude3177
March 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
awesome didnt see that plugin and that worked