PDA

View Full Version : Official Jaunty Wallpaper

Sealbhach
March 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hey, guess what? It's BROWN!!!!!
:P:):o:D:):o:o

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-04-Has-a-Brand-New-Wallpaper-107194.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/small/jauntywallpaper-small_001.png

jimi_hendrix
March 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
thats weak....no animal?

Naiki Muliaina
March 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
E gads your joking me >.< Thats dire!

And not a ruddy Jackalope in sight!

Islington
March 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
thats weak....no animal?

I believe that the animal will be dropped in favor of more abstract backgrounds from now on.:popcorn:

I believe that it was discussed on the mailing list.

hoboken
March 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Good. We get enough of the silly animals in the release names, no need for them to be on our wallpapers as well.

Bölvağur
March 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I like it. But I would also like to see alternative (like the brown elephant skin one) wallpaper that we can choose from, which would be with the animal.

btw is this the official theme? dark gray? (I would be very happy with it and would not switch themes the first month)

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
So they hired a team to work hard to vamp up the artwork and image, and this is what they came up with? Wow!

So much for a new color and a new look. At least the panels are a little darker. That's quite a bit better than that flat light gray.

Islington
March 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
So they hired a team to work hard to vamp up the artwork and image, and this is what they came up with? Wow!

So much for a new color and a new look.

I expected more from you than a post like this!:( The artwork team hasn't really been working on jaunty afaik. They will be working on karmic and onwards.

Nevon
March 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Meh. I think it's okay. It's a step up, but not by much. I really like the new gradient for the panels though!

jimi_hendrix
March 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I believe that the animal will be dropped in favor of more abstract backgrounds from now on.:popcorn:

double weak

and thats not very abstract

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I expected more from you than a post like this!:( The artwork team hasn't really been working on jaunty afaik. They will be working on karmic and onwards.
Yeah, I guess that was pretty dumb considering the other thread I started.

Image quality has been one of my complaints about the whole Linux world. I believe that even if you can completely customize how something looks, the first impression is very important to get people to want to use your offering. I just had high hopes for the "new look", and I didn't realize that it isn't coming until Karmic. Hopefully they can make it look awesome.

Flimm
March 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
It's OK, I personnally don't want a Jackalope in the wallpaper, unless it's really, really well done. Jaunty Jackalope is just a codename, after all.

jimi_hendrix
March 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
It's OK, I personnally don't want a Jackalope in the wallpaper, unless it's really, really well done. Jaunty Jackalope is just a codename, after all.

hardy heron was a code name...theres a heron in the default wallpaper

Flimm
March 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
hardy heron was a code name...theres a heron in the default wallpaper
Yeah, but that one was really well done.

jimi_hendrix
March 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, but that one was really well done.

yes it was...i thought ibex kinda looked like mud and wasnt that great :(

gnomeuser
March 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I like it, it looks very clean and professional. Something I would have on the display at work without being ashamed, yet also something I can enjoy at home.

trapline91
March 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hopefully they change the wallpaper to include a Jackalope before the beta release since to me anyways it always makes the wallpaper look more interesting and unique.

johnb820
March 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I wish there was a little something more going on because that is barely one step away from a solid color background. I like it though.

Flimm
March 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hopefully they change the wallpaper to include a koala before the beta release since to me anyways it always makes the wallpaper look more interesting and unique.
We're talking about Ubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope, not Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, neither of which have been released yet.
I just noticed that the screenshot shows the New Wave theme being used, will this be enabled by default too?

trapline91
March 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
We're talking about Ubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope, not Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, neither of which have been released yet.
I just noticed that the screenshot shows the New Wave theme being used, will this be enabled by default too?

Yea, I meant to put Jackalope not Koala.

Excedio
March 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I like it. But I would also like to see alternative (like the brown elephant skin one) wallpaper that we can choose from, which would be with the animal.

btw is this the official theme? dark gray? (I would be very happy with it and would not switch themes the first month)

You waited a whole month?! I had a new theme in minutes...it was literally the FIRST thing I changed.

K.Mandla
March 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yawn.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=934368

Bölvağur
March 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
You waited a whole month?! I had a new theme in minutes...it was literally the FIRST thing I changed.

no I said I WOULD, as in the future..... -.-
like: if they would keep this theme as default I would not feel the urge to switch themes for about a month or so.

Zlatan
March 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hey, guess what? It's BROWN!!!!!
:P:):o:D:):o:o

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-04-Has-a-Brand-New-Wallpaper-107194.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/small/jauntywallpaper-small_001.png

If I remember correcty, ubuntu is ditching brown with Karmic Koala. You can find it in Mark's anouncement.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think it looks pretty good :/
It's even at a sensible resolution.

Sealbhach
March 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I think it looks pretty good :/
It's even at a sensible resolution.

If it was blue or red or black or green or almost any other colour (except perhaps yellow) I really wouldn't mind, I just hate brown. It's my least favourite colour ever.

Trail
March 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well... KDE4 doesn't look so bad now, huh?

(PS: I quite like how new wallpaper, but seeing that a few people are disappointed, I feel I had to tease them. And KDE4 looks awesome. And yeah, don't bother replying)

cookieofdoom
March 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Looks good... I'm getting a bit tired of brown, though, so I'll probably be re-theming. I'm glad to see all the talk on the art list has resulted in some really cool themes for Ubuntu.

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I like the way they were going with Haron and Ibex; an artistic rendition of the animal.

I hope they include more than just 2 wallpapers then, maybe include all of the proposed wallpapers to choose from?

If you want to try it out behorehand, there are links to get the wallpaper alone (without the panels) here http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-04-Has-a-Brand-New-Wallpaper-107194.shtml. I'm giving one a try on my work Windows computer to get used to it ;)

kaixi
March 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I want the animal wallpaper back!

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2009/01/07/artwork-for-ubuntu-jaunty-already-impressive/

myusername
March 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
if you ask me hardy had the best wallpaper of all the releases. they should have stuck with that style. but this doesnt look to bad. does anyone know what theme is default? i like the dust theme WAY better than new wave

RiceMonster
March 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I actually think that looks nice. It's looks really clean.

Bart_D
March 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'll change it before it has a chance to breathe.

aaaantoine
March 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
The Ibex wallpaper went great with the Dust theme when I had Ubuntu 8.10.

This one is too plain. Reminds me of Gutsy.

...Actually, even the Gutsy wallpaper stood out a bit. This is maybe a notch above Feisty.

blackened
March 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I really like the first one, even though I probably will never use it. The second is just a mashup of the default KDE 4.2 WP (Air) and the Ubuntu Glossy Orange WP sans logo. Move along, nothing to see here.

kaixi
March 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
The Ibex wallpaper went great with the Dust theme when I had Ubuntu 8.10.

This one is too plain. Reminds me of Gutsy.

...Actually, even the Gutsy wallpaper stood out a bit. This is maybe a notch above Feisty.

That's exactly what i felt. I mean, it's not bad but I hope this won't be the default wallpaper.

days_of_ruin
March 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I like it.Not really exciting but its better than Intrepids.
Altho I think the second one would've made a better default.

Sealbhach
March 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I like it.Not really exciting but its better than Intrepids.
Altho I think the second one would've made a better default.

I've tried both on my desktop and they're actually not that bad. I agree, 2nd one is a lot better as a default. Looks more cheerful.

Dekkon
March 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
double weak

No, it's simple and elegant, all we need for a default background. Now let's work on getting some brighter vibrant colors, instead of one, and at that, a poo one, atleast there getting somewhere.

Keep it simple, yet elegant please. :)

Pennypjpage
March 20th, 2009, 02:34 AM
double weak

I Agree with you

pt123
March 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM
they should bring the animal back, this WP is dull like those ones found on corporate machines

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I love it.

kevin11951
March 20th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I love it.

+1 i think the second one is too busy for a default anyway.

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM
+1 i think the second one is too busy for a default anyway.

What second one are you talking about?

days_of_ruin
March 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM
What second one are you talking about?

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/jauntywallpaper-large_002.jpg

EDIT:btw where can I download these wallpapers?

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/jauntywallpaper-large_002.jpg

That one looks like they mixed a KDE wallpaper with a Mac wallpaper and then recolored it.

NintendoTogepi
March 20th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Meh. Hardy Heron's wallpaper is by far the best one.

Jaunty's is better than Intrepid's, though.

FuturePilot
March 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
While I liked the animal theme that was going on the past couple of releases, this wallpaper really looks awesome. I like it.

TBOL3
March 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I must say Bravo ubuntu. I was really worried there that the new theme would be horrible. But I really think this new one look REALLY nice.

days_of_ruin
March 20th, 2009, 04:50 AM
While I liked the animal theme that was going on the past couple of releases, this wallpaper really looks awesome. I like it.

You should check this one out.HORDES OF JACKALOPES!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Jaunty/Horde%20Wallpaper

Tykin
March 20th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Well, it looks better than Intrepid's default. But while perusing the incoming artwork, I saw some much better options for my Jaunty backgrond.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Jaunty/AlphaBackgrounds

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Oh, God. My EYES!

Changturkey
March 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Oh, God. My EYES!

lol nightmare

TBOL3
March 20th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Oh no, PLEASE keep it unbranded, and abstract. I don't want a desktop with a bunch of mythical rabbits hopping around!

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
There are two things that annoy me most about Ubuntu wallpapers:

1. I think it's annoying when a user creates a unique wallpaper and then ruins it by plastering the Ubuntu logo on it. There's nothing wrong with the Ubuntu logo, but it seems that when users use it in their own wallpapers, they don't make the Ubuntu logo blend well with the wallpaper background. They just use the stock, default Ubuntu logo.

2. What I hate more, though, is when people take a professional, copyrighted image, stick a couple of Ubuntu logos on it, and then re-release it as their own work under a free license.

entr3p
March 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Well it's true that the new wallpaper is an improvement and I'm glad there isn't a Jackalope in sight but I truly think they could've done much better.

kevin11951
March 20th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Isn't the planned "eye candy" release the next one (9.10)?

MaindotC
March 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I like my jaunty desktop like I like my women.

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I like my jaunty desktop like I like my women.

Ripply-skinned and unevenly tanned?

Zlatan
March 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
oh, god. My eyes!

! :d

Hadret
March 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Ubuntu-9-04-Has-a-Brand-New-Wallpaper-3.png/

NintendoTogepi
March 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I kind of like this wallpaper, actually:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Jaunty/AlphaBackgrounds?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=jauntyAlpha_byOblivian.png

Simple, abstract and to the point. ;)

Dragonbite
March 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM

<sinp>

Looks like the lid of a laptop when it's opened across the table from you.

Ozor Mox
March 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I like the one in the original post, simple and clean. Hardy's is still the best though :)

andrewabc
March 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Watership Down anyone?

Giant Speck
March 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM

<pic>

I don't know. There's something about orange on gray that doesn't work right. It isn't very easy on the eyes.

Sashin
March 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
It looks much better on the desktop than in the screenshot. I suspect that the people that said they really disliked it didn't properly try it out.

kevin11951
March 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Watership Down anyone?

I felt the same way, but I am not sure why?

Sashin
March 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hmm... I think Black and orange would have gone nicer than orange and grey.

mybunche
March 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Actually I don't mind the brown now, gotten use to it.

I agree with a few others Hardy Heron wallpaper was the best, a piece of art, and it's still the one I am using.

Apart from a few minor changes I think the big change to a completely new look will be in version 9.10. This will give them time and it will be a run-up to the 10.04 LTS release. Be patient, and I get the feeling it will be worth the wait.

Mark76
March 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
yes it was...i thought ibex kinda looked like mud and wasnt that great :(

I was thinking more along the lines of something Bobby Sands might have done during the dirty protest :p

rasmus91
March 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
I believe that the animal will be dropped in favor of more abstract backgrounds from now on.

NOOOOO! this is to bad :(

yes it was...i thought ibex kinda looked like mud and wasnt that great

Yes but still better than the new one for jaunty... That just sucks...

I liked the background for Hardy, it was very beautifully made, good colors and stuff...

I think they should Continue making animals in the background image though, i like the idea of the codename kinda being integrated, if you know what i mean ;)

still, its a background for the Desktop, it can be changed...

Btw, when will those panels come? I have the Jaunty alpha, and would very much like to know how to set it all to default when Jaunty is released.

Islington
March 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Btw, when will those panels come? I have the Jaunty alpha, and would very much like to know how to set it all to default when Jaunty is released.

Those panels I believe will be part of one of the default themes, probably NewWave. You can install newwave right now, it is found on gnome-look.org

baizon
March 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I like it :)

Joeb454
March 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
The panels are in the DarkRoom theme :)

And I like the new Jaunty backgrounds, but from what I gather, they're starting the redesign from Jaunty, to be done for 9.10 (Karmic)

longtom
March 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
None of those rabbit wallpapers do it for me.

The wallpaper in the first post is nice. I could imagine using it for longer than just for testing.

It's a matter of personal taste really....

longtom

Kosimo
March 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Changing the wallpaper is the first thing I do every time I install a new release...

exploder
March 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
None of those rabbit wallpapers do it for me.

The wallpaper in the first post is nice. I could imagine using it for longer than just for testing.

It's a matter of personal taste really...

I couldn't have said it any better!

D1ZZ4ZZT3R
March 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
i think they ought to do like in comics and some magazines; have at least two versions of a default wallpaper. one with and, one without the animal. i personally like the earthy feel of the animal walls.

on a related note: does anyone know where i can get the official ubuntu wallpapers? i've looked, and looked and the most i ever find are variants. thanks

Orlsend
March 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Man thats a hot screenshot! Woohoo!

I disappointed that there is not a Horny rabbit in my future default desktop.

Mark76
March 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM
Here ya go (http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1300000/Jessica-Wallpaper-jessica-rabbit-1312727-1280-800.gif)

.:Justus:.
March 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
rats.

longtom
March 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
on a related note: does anyone know where i can get the official ubuntu wallpapers? i've looked, and looked and the most i ever find are variants. thanks

+1 - would like to have a look on my desktop what it looks like...

fballem
March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thankfully, all of this is a matter of taste. Having used ubuntu for nearly a year (yup, still a newbie), I was pleasantly surprised with the new wallpaper. Although it is brown (not my favourite colour), it looks professional. I have actually gotten to like it. I might not replace this one - at least not immediately.

diablo75
March 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Well, it looks better than Intrepid's default. But while perusing the incoming artwork, I saw some much better options for my Jaunty backgrond.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Jaunty/AlphaBackgrounds

I was going to complain about the OP's screenshot of the "official" abstract background, but after looking at the potential alternatives that include the animal in question... I can't really complain. That is one ugly bunny rabbit. 10 times more evil than this rabbit:

http://www.bwcadets.co.uk/rabbit.jpg

Dragonbite
March 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I was going to complain about the OP's screenshot of the "official" abstract background, but after looking at the potential alternatives that include the animal in question... I can't really complain. That is one ugly bunny rabbit. 10 times more evil than this rabbit:

http://www.bwcadets.co.uk/rabbit.jpg

"With huge fangs.. Just look at the bonez!"

Sand & Mercury
March 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
I love it.

Bart_D
March 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Must there always be a cute cuddly animal?

Come on!!! We're not 12 anymore....

Ravernomina
March 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
i Miss animal :l

littletinman
March 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
oooh, i like it. it's sleek, simple, and i'm not a huge fan of animal wallpapers me self.

Dragonbite
March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've got the 2nd wallpaper as the background for my Windows machine and I have to say it isn't bad. I'm getting used to it.

robbie d
March 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Sorry did someone say windows???
I thought I recognised the origins of the background:tongue: