PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 2.26 released

ubu-for
March 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
The GNOME project is proud to release this new version of the GNOME desktop environment and developer platform. Among the hundreds of bug fixes and user-requested improvements, GNOME 2.26 has several highly visible changes: the inclusion of a new disc burning application, simpler file sharing and a generally smoother user experience.

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.26/

rockin_goliath
March 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Why can't Jaunty be released tomorrow?!?!? I want it now!!!!

crjackson
March 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why can't Jaunty be released tomorrow?!?!? I want it now!!!!

Then download it now. Nothing is stopping you ;)

rockin_goliath
March 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I understand I could download Jaunty now, but it would be unstable. It was more of a "why can't Christmas come in September" comment.

tad1073
March 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
It is pretty stable I would say.

Tibuda
March 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I understand I could download Jaunty now, but it would be unstable.That's why Jaunty won't be released tomorrow.

While GNOME's Media Player already has the ability to display subtitles for a movie, this still required you to have the subtitle data available. As of GNOME 2.26, this restriction is gone. Using the new subtitle downloader plugin, the Media Player will automatically find subtitles for you.What is GNOME's Media Player? Rhythmbox? Totem? Something else?

NCLI
March 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
That's why Jaunty won't be released tomorrow.

What is GNOME's Media Player? Rhythmbox? Totem? Something else?

I'd say Totem.

Nullack
March 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
A pretty minor release. Long standing totem bugs still arent fixed :(

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I really like that they've integrated Nautilus with PackageKit to install programs needed to open files. I've been waiting for that forever!

Now all we need is Ubuntu to hurry up and Adopt Packagekit.

SushiR
March 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I totally agree with you. Jaunty Alpha seems to be much better than stable Intrepid...as far as I can see.

Brausepaul
March 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Will there be a backport of Gnome 2.26 for Intrepid Ibex?

Nullack
March 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
No there will not be

SketchyClown
March 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I agree. Seems very rock solid stable on my M50VM Asus laptop.

Gnome 2.26 installed flawlessly and has given no troubles.

Far more stable than Intrepid in general.

Once they iron out the Samba issues, I'd be a happy camper.

DarkReaper79
March 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
It seems stable to me also. Other than a few hicups is runs fine. The update from intrepid to jaunty failed, but the install via iso worked perfectly:)

Therion
March 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Jaunty Alpha seems to be much better than stable Intrepid...
Infinitely so for me.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Will there be a backport of Gnome 2.26 for Intrepid Ibex?

Yes, there is. It will ask you to upgrade to Jaunty ;)

Each release of Ubuntu is tied very closely to particular versions of its major packages (eg: all the GNOME stuff, F-Spot, the artwork). This is so it can be reliable and so software developers can release packages for Ubuntu and expect them to work. The releases are tested over 4 months or so to make sure everything meshes together properly. After that testing, a new major release of Ubuntu comes out (Jaunty being the next one, due on April 23rd) with the new software. You can choose to stick with the current software (which is supported for quite a while yet) or to upgrade when it happens.
For the most part, these sorts of upgrades give us reasonably smooth, incremental changes.

rburkartjo
March 20th, 2009, 03:50 AM
sus, i too agree. even though still in alpha i have had less problems with it than the 8,10 public release

adredz
March 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I always wonder if Jaunty is really in Alpha stage...It's too stable.:)

andrewabc
March 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I always wonder if Jaunty is really in Alpha stage...It's too stable.:)

Jaunty will be beta in 1 week, so it is more beta than alpha quality.