PDA

View Full Version : My wallpaper. ( open for suggestions)

villevalorox
March 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Ok I love to make wallpapers. And I'm new to Linux I need your guys suggestions on how to make them feel more linux lol. What do you guys think of this one? It's my first. It's really simple.

Edit: lol sorry for the size here is one 1/2 the size http://tahgqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p5Zts_cbL8qYnnDojAGdAut5wRA_ldi5JT2VbENX49eRu5_y OiYgZMAwek0gsbi2i4FyGvQx_EDcZUceZIc1aoQ/ubuntu.bmp

Edit: ok i just made 2 more :D. Hope the community likes.

1st one with logo in lower left. http://tahgqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pfQrQdakn46MD1V54DP5DeL8SXcWQxBPzTGU4EP04jeU5ArC Lh45uPFLJmN1KS5GanfemkaZk8yWP5gfwUXNafA/ubuntu1.bmp

New

http://tahgqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pphbRUTYNW2LrPM0K3J5Crz_5tSWisVoaJmKwJo7KRQJ0Ae8 z85u1YO1YiGccILSxJQhRytPWGc7pLNKIee-nWQ/ubuntu%20fall.bmp

http://tahgqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p6L10DHALW0bcgJqBu1mpicLSVL-2kbgPLLo1U1lZ_kbrB900HOjm-XciwMbUli6RcOv32QUFjL5hw4jblZ6Gbg/ubuntu%20summer.bmp

Giant Speck
March 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Your wallpaper is incredibly large and requires a long time to load. Please upload it as an attachment.

sailthesea
March 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
That took up most of my house!
Edit : The lights flickered when I set that to desktop Nice!

Chemical Imbalance
March 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I like it, especially the effects on the logo--did you do that yourself?

Nice job :KS

villevalorox
March 19th, 2009, 05:20 AM
yep :D thanks.

blackened
March 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I'm not much of a logo fan, but if you insist on including one, then you shouldn't make it so overt. Make it more diffuse and incorporate it into the background. Might only be my personal preference.

dmizer
March 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Your wallpaper is incredibly large and requires a long time to load. Please upload it as an attachment.

Actually, it's too large to attach. The file size is small enough, but the dimensions are too big. I just changed the img tag to a url tag.

Edit:
Maybe I just have too much Zen in me, but I think you would do better if the logo wasn't dead center.

sailthesea
March 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
This is a perfect fit for the New wave theme that I'm trying at the moment

villevalorox
March 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM
yeah, I agree lol I'll do that. Will probably move it to the lower left. Thanks for the feed back :D

s.fox
March 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That is a nice wallpaper. Well done.

blueamcat
March 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I like the first one with the logo at the bottom corner. The summer Ubuntu is also nice! Very bright.

mpsii
March 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Can we try a .jpg/.jpeg or .png version? I really cannot stand .BMP, though I like your wallpapers.

Ben Crisford
March 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Took a while to load, but it was worth the wait.

Superb piece of art, :).

s.fox
March 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I like both of them, though probably the summer one a little more. Nice wallpapers!

Flimm
March 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Here are the wallpapers converted to .jpg. As you can see, they're much smaller than the original .bmp (4MB, 2.9MB and 2.9MB become 65KB, 112KB and 100KB). The .jpg loses some of the quality, though, if you want a lossless compressed format, use .png.
I really like Ubuntu fall.

villevalorox
March 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for posting that for the others. The reason I save as BMP. is because of the quality. :D thanks for all the feed back aswell. Glad to hear you guys like XD

Bölvağur
March 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for posting that for the others. The reason I save as BMP. is because of the quality. :D thanks for all the feed back aswell. Glad to hear you guys like XD

please do not use bmp. it is very very bad format. use png which is lossless and takes much less space. You could try custom make high quality jpeg where there is close to no loss, but I'd say png for what you are doing.

hikaricore
March 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
please do not use bmp. it is very very bad format.

I don't see what problem you have with bmp, it's also lossless unless you use it wrong.
As for the "slow" loading, me thinks you all need better internets. :P I downloaded both files at once in under 10 seconds.

Very nice work btw. ^_^

Bölvağur
March 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I downloaded both files at once in under 10 seconds.

That is impressive ^^

btw I like "spring" the most. but if the ubuntu logo must be on it, could it be the same shade as the tree?
Well anyway, those are very good looking wallpapers.

villevalorox
March 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
it could yes. But I wanted to make sure it was was a darker color to ensure that it would standout. I could change that for ya if you want it like that? Thanks for the feedback. :D next time I make a wallpaper I will be sure to upload the .psd file so you guys can edit it to what you like. I just wanted to know if i got the feel of Ubuntu and linux on key and what you guys like or dislike bout them. But thanks for the feedback will do my best XD

blackened
March 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
I don't see what problem you have with bmp, it's also lossless unless you use it wrong...

Agreed, BMP is still a viable lossless format, it just happens to generate some huge files compared to more "modern" formats.

...As for the "slow" loading, me thinks you all need better internets. :P I downloaded both files at once in under 10 seconds...

Unfortunately, the best that's available to me here is a crappy 1.5 Mb/S DSL connection. God I miss Dallas.

Very nice work btw. ^_^

Indeed. I like the third one the best. But again, hold the logo please.

Martje_001
March 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Could you post Ubuntu Summer without logo?

I think they're great btw :). Oh and yes, save it in PNG, it's lossless and compresses it with TGZ.

Bölvağur
March 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
next time I make a wallpaper I will be sure to upload the .psd file so you guys can edit it to what you like. I just wanted to know if i got the feel of Ubuntu and linux on key

please do :)

for my part... I dont like a good wallpaper with a logo, except if the whole point of the wallpaper is the logo.

Matrix7
March 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM

Wow never heard BMP as high quality before o.O Yeah I would recommend using PNG if you want quality, but please also include JPG's, just crank the quality up to 100%. It will still be lossy but not nearly as much. That way folks who want small and dont care about minute details can go JPG, then guys like myself who want the good stuff can get the PNG.

I like the overall them but for some reason the logo doesn't seem to work in any of them. I think it's because they stand out too much. Try fading the logo layer to 15% or 20% opactiy and working it into one of the existing circles of the design. Subtlty goes a long way :-) Nice effort though. And remember BMP's are eeeeevil! :-)

moopet
March 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM

For reference, the jpgs downloaded in about 2 seconds, the bmp of the first one "1/2 size" took over a minute on my 8 meg connection. It's not just your connection speed, there are a lot of factors. The size of the files and time spent loading meant that I didn't bother looking at the next two (though I did when I found them as jpegs) In order to compress bmp you have to use something like gzip, meaning that I'd have to gunzip before viewing, whereas if you save them as png everyone wins :)

I quite like them, and just to be different, I like the bold logo in the first one. And I like that it's centred, too.

UbuntuNerd
March 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
man that took a long time!!!